Hang on restart

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drewko

Hang on restart

Post by drewko »

When I restart Mint 8 it hangs. It says it is restarting but never does; then have to push the power button. Shutdown works fine; it is only Restart that hangs.

This is a single drive ASUS P5S800 machine, dual OS with WinXP. My research seems to indicate i should put a "reboot=b" command on the kernel line somewhere in the grub.conf file but I am a little confused whether this is applicable in Mint 8. So how do i fix this?

Drew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Hang on restart

Post by remoulder »

Drew, sorry you're having a problem, but we're going to need a little more information about your system. Please read the link in the Forum rules bar at the top for the information needed. Also does it hang before restarting or afterwards.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
drewko

Post by drewko »

Ok, thanks. Sorry, here is more info:

I am running Mint 8 main edition. According to the grub menu "linux 2.6.31-14-generic (/dev/sda5)".
Grub version is 1.97~beta4
This is a dual OS setup sharing a single hard drive with WinXP.

Here is the problem: I click on MENU QUIT RESTART which then proceeds to display the following line at the top of black screen, followed by a blinking cursor:

Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition 1-P5S800 tty11-P5S800 login: [ 156.360473] Restarting system.

...or similar. Keyboard is completely unresponsive; have to give the power button a short push to restart, at which point everything proceeds normally to reboot.

After rebooting i ran lspci and lsusb which yielded following:

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
661FX/M661FX/M661MX Host (rev 11)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port
(virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL
Media IO] (rev 36)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

There are no problems starting or shutting down; only Restart hangs as described above. I see that other people have had same Restart hang problem in the past with this particular motherboard/BIOS and solved it by adding "reboot=b" to the kernel line in grub.conf. I don't know how to do that in Mint 8.

Drew
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Drew, thanks for the info. Before we look at kernel mode parameters, can you try updating your xorg and kernel to the latest. In mintupdate go to Edit | Preferences and place a check under the visible column against levels 4 & 5, close Preferences and click Refresh on the toolbar. You should find several updates relating to xorg and linux kernel 2.6.31.20, I suggest you just select them all unless there's anything listed you feel particularly unsure of, then click Apply. When complete shutdown and restart rather than reboot to ensure a clean shutdown. See http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ty#p239734 for more information.

Once you reboot into the new kernel, which should be the default assuming everything worked ok, try the reboot option again.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Installation & Boot”