Getting Rid of Windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gkrusty

Getting Rid of Windows

Post by gkrusty »

So I installed mint using mint4win and now am ready to get rid of Windows completely. Can I keep my mint4win settings? Do I have to install from scratch using a live cd?

I am fairly new with Linux so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: Getting Rid of Windows

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome To Linux Mint
It is my understanding that mint4win installs the Linux Distro like a program is installed in the windows directory. If you go to uninstall programs in windows,
you should see the install there in the list. So if you wish to ditch Win completely ( which I do not recommend to a new user until they are comfortable enough to use & use well ) this would include the installation of your mint4win application.
I would recommend a dual boot with Win/Linux & that way you can learn Linux Mint & retain your win to fall back on if you feel the need.You could then uninstall the mint4win install from your win directory.
I hope this helps you in your decision,
Jay514 :roll:
gkrusty

Post by gkrusty »

Thanks for the reply. I am trying Mint out on an old laptop and have 3 windows machines to fall back on if my Linux experience doesn't go well. I am sick of Windows and am fairly confident that I will never look back! :D
gkrusty

Post by gkrusty »

There isn't any way to install the full version from the windows add/remove programs list. I am envisioning some way to changing the partitions to remove the windows installation while still keeping my mint as is.

This probably won't work as mint4win doesn't create its own partition.

Any help?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

If you have so many M$ machines to fall back on,
& if you are prepared to "do it all",
( make sure that the BIOS is set to boot the cd 1st)
then reboot the thing with the live_cd in that drive,
& click on the Install icon, & when the partitioner get to the bit about where to install,
select the option to install to the Whole HDD - generally the 1st option.
& let it erase Everything on the HDD & install the 'nix. :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gkrusty

Post by gkrusty »

I appreciate you response, however, my question is if it is possible to install Mint from mint4win and get rid of my Windows installation. I understand how to install from scratch, but would like to keep all of my mint settings and just delete the windows partition.

Thanks for any help you can give. If the answer is no will someone please just tell me so and I will install from scratch. :D
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

gkrusty wrote: I understand how to install from scratch, but would like to keep all of my mint settings...
Maybe remastersys can help you on that one..
Also, experimenting with clonezilla might worth to try..
Cheers.. :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

If the answer is no will someone please just tell me so
that's about it .....
Mint4Win is really just to get a linux O/S running in a subdirectory of the C: drive in Win.
although you do get a working linux O/S, it's really a fake install.

you need to back up any data that you made in documents <etc> & any mail from Tbird,
and zap the whole thing with a real install. :o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

I've never done it, however Wubi, which Mint4win is based from, can be moved to a dedicated partition http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php (about halfway down).

It needs a program called LVPM http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html like I said I've never used it but I don't see why it shouldn't work on mint4win as its essentially the same program re-packaged. As always, its best to backup your important data, just incase.

Return to “Installation & Boot”