[SOLVED] Best way to kill partitions and get grub2 back?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chipps61

[SOLVED] Best way to kill partitions and get grub2 back?

Post by chipps61 »

So I'd been toying with the latest Sabayon on a triple boot with Vista and Mint 8 main. Hadn't booted into Sabayon in a few days so did so last night, and there were over 500 updates. I did them all, and on a reboot afterwards Sabayon went ballistic and that installation is now hosed. I'd love to just kill the / and /home partitions I'd created for it and go back to a dual boot between Mint and Vista. The question is... what's the best way to go about doing that?

I know I can just kill the two Sabayon partiions and then boot from CD and reinstall Mint 8 (which will reinstall Grub2 and find Vista in the process), but ideally it'd be nice to manually kill the partitions, find some way to update Grub2 after that before rebooting and get back to where I was before I started playing with the triple boot.

Is that the best way to approach it? Right now Sabayon's grub has control, as that's the last OS I installed.

Here is my current partition setup from fdisk -l:

Code: Select all

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1         192     1536000   27  Unknown
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2   *         192       41965   335544320    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3           41966       52591    85353345    5  Extended
/dev/sda4           52592       60801    65946825   83  Linux
/dev/sda5           41966       42208     1951866   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6           42209       43667    11719386   83  Linux
/dev/sda7           43668       52591    71681998+  83  Linux
sda6 and 7 are the ones I want to remove and also remove from grub2. sda3 is Mint 8's /, and sda4 is Mint 8's /home. Any suggestions appreciated - this isn't an immediate need, but at some point I'll have to deal with it, as my default boot (Sabayon) is now broken.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Best way to kill a couple partitions and get grub2 back?

Post by remoulder »

You can use gparted on the mint livecd to remove the partitions and resize the remaining ones if you wish. You can also install grub from there without re-installing mint, see http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20 ... stall_GRUB and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... m%20LiveCD
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

To save yourself from having to use the Live CD:

1) Boot into Mint, start Gparted and delete the offending partitions

2) Then from a terminal

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
3) Then

sudo update-grub
Last edited by markcynt on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipps61

Post by chipps61 »

markcynt wrote:To save yourself from having to use the Live CD:
Beautiful - that's exactly what I was looking for, and worked perfectly. Thank you!
markcynt

Re: [SOLVED] Best way to kill partitions and get grub2 back?

Post by markcynt »

Your welcome! :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”