fresh install, randomly freezes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adanrott

fresh install, randomly freezes

Post by adanrott »

Brand new hard drive, installed mint from the usb version about an hour ago, now when i get on the internet, it will randomly freeze up and i have to power down. or, like just now, i inserted a thumbdrive and the screen went black a minute later. had to power down again. any ideas on the cause of this?

now i just discovered that anytime i try to click and drag anything, any windows that were open and any icons on the desktop dissapear. my taskbar is still there, i can open terminal, but dont know how to use it. i can open firefox, but not my computer or documents.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: fresh install, randomly freezes

Post by beefstu »

Some more info would be useful. Please follow http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33561.

Also what exactly happens when it 'freezes'? you say you can open a terminal so you can presumably get into the menu then? Is it just the open program that freezes? In which case you can run

Code: Select all

killall <ProgramName>
where you change <ProgramName> with Firefox for example.

Also, when you get the freeze can you type this into the terminal

dmesg > dmesg
and next time you get control of the computer goto your home folder and you should have a file called dmesg, can you post that here? You could also try

sudo reboot
to restart the computer instead of risking your harddrives by pressing and holding the power button.

It sound like it could be a graphics problem, as well as what the link I posted suggests, can you post the output of

inxi -G
adanrott

Re: fresh install, randomly freezes

Post by adanrott »

for a little more information, i am on a HP envy15, linux mint 8 helena. not sure what else you need, cpu is a intel Q720 @ 1.6 ghz

inxi -G returned this

Graphics: Card ATI Moility Radeon HD 4830 [M97] X.Org 1.6.4 Res:
1920x1080@59.9hz
                           GLX renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.6
also, sometimes its just the program that freezes/dissapears, but a few times the computer has restarted on its own. just a few minutes ago, i was on this forum clicked a link and the computer restarted. no other programs open, just firefox. and othertimes ill go to click on menu after it freezes and the taskbar will dissapear too. and i have to hold the power button to shut it down since i can't do anything else.

also, i dont have any mouse click functions besides tapping the pad (so only left click) for some reason it doesnt reconize the fact that my mousepad has the buttons built into it and acts like the whole thing it one large mousepad.

just froze again, but it wouldn't let me access the menu, i tried ctrl-alt-f1, which i think is the equiv. of ctrl-alt-del...didn't work either, had to hold the button. if i keep having to hold the button to shut it down, will it harm the harddrive again? the thing is brand new (bought yesterday) so I'd really rather not F it this soon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”