Freezes during installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xarune

Freezes during installation

Post by xarune »

Hi, I am trying to install mint 5 on a old Toshiba satellite A55

I put in the mint disk, and it goes through a loading screen, then chimes as if logging in. After that it goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor centered. At this point the CD stops turning and the computer locks, and responds to nothing. Any idea what is going wrong?

Extra info:
~750mb ram
Celeron M CPU
western digital ATA-100 HDD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Freezes during installation

Post by remoulder »

Mint 5 elyssa reached end of life this month, why are installing that version? Don't recall if there is a disk check on that release, but if there is did you run it? Was the disc burned at a slow speed and the MD5 sum checked against the server?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I believe that laptop uses the Intel Extreme Graphics video, that may be your problem. Later versions may have solved that problem. You may want to try installing a newer version of Mint. I have Mint 8 main running on an old Dell C600. I did have to tweak the xorg.conf (ATI onboard graphics) for the correct resolution, but it still works fine.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
xarune

Post by xarune »

I gave up on mint 5. I was able to get the LXDE version of mint 8 going and installed.

However after I installed it, when i rebooted it and got to the login screen the computer locks and stops responding (similar to how it locks while installing the other versions of mint). When it locks, a 'ghost image' appears next to all the images on screen, making a light copy of that image appear about a cm over to one side.

Return to “Installation & Boot”