Adding Fedora to Linux Mint grub.cfg

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Basie

Adding Fedora to Linux Mint grub.cfg

Post by Basie »

From what I have read I realize I am using Grub2. I made an entry in boot>grub.cfg but it didn't seem to translate to the boot menu. I have done this many times in the past using Grub. So I'm lost and could use some help accomplish this task in Grub2. Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: Adding Fedora to Linux Mint grub.cfg

Post by mick55 »

You need to update GRUB after you edit it.Run this command to do so.

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Once it’s complete, reboot to see the results.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Adding%20 ... 20Grub%202
vincent

Post by vincent »

Oh, and you aren't actually supposed to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg, if that's what you've done. You can, but that defeats the whole purpose of the slew of grub config scripts that come with Grub 2 to supposedly make configuration easier and safer. Whether it accomplishes its purpose is entirely up for debate though...

Grub 2 should automatically recognize Fedora when running the "sudo update-grub" command, even without tinkering with any config files. If it doesn't, you'll have to add a custom entry in one of Grub 2's config files (gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom) and then run "sudo update-grub" once more. Get used to running "sudo update-grub" if you want to change anything at all to do with Grub 2.
Basie

Post by Basie »

Thanks. That worked great. Reminds me a little of LILO. One of the reasons I liked Grub was changes to the grub.conf or menu.lst did not have to be updated. Simple enough though. I tried Mint early on. Was not very
impressed. This version is in another class. Good job guys.

Return to “Installation & Boot”