Problem Installing 8 Helena

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acurrysauce

Problem Installing 8 Helena

Post by acurrysauce »

I downloaded and burned the linux mint 8 helena iso and burned it, validated it, and booted to it. Once I booted to it I validated the cd, again, and began a normal installation. The installation hung at the linux mint logo so I rebooted. This time I ran the install in compatability mode and the installation hung at the following:

"/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sr1: no medium found"
"/init: line 1: can't open /dev/sr0: no medium found"

These two errors alternate until it finally stops at

"(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system"

I googled the error and found a number of people with the issue, but none seem to have solved it. One person seemed convinced it was their video card, and switched to the onboard video and it worked, I guess. I have no onboard video so this is kind of not possible and makes me think that is not the issue.

I am booting from a dvd drive if that matters. I also can not install windows 7 for unknown reasons, could be the same issue? XP installed and works just fine.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problem Installing 8 Helena

Post by feed3 »

how if you create usb live and boot from it.. is the same thing happen if you boot from usb live?
acurrysauce

Post by acurrysauce »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that out when I get home later tonight. I really appreciate it.
acurrysauce

Post by acurrysauce »

I created a USB Live flash drive but I can not use it because it is neither recognized as a hard disc nor listed as an option as a boot device. All I can choose is

USB-FDD
USB-ZIP/LS
USB-CDROM

USB-HDD is nowhere to be found.

Any other ideas?

Edit: Maybe I can boot to GParted from dvd and then partition my hard drive, then from the windows side use UNetbootin to install to hard disc?
acurrysauce

Post by acurrysauce »

I went a bought a few cd-r discs and tried that. The same issues persists so I'm convinced it is the dvd-rom or the cd-rom.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

Can you boot it up by choosing the USB-ZIP option? on my machine, depending on the usb stick partition type etc, sometimes it listing my usb stick as USB-ZIP instead. also, how do you burn the image? try burn it with the slowest speed possible, maybe 2x or 4x and try boot it up.
acurrysauce

Post by acurrysauce »

USB-ZIP doesn't work, all I get a nice

"boot error"

or something to that effect, I tried it before posting.

I'm gonna try a different distro and see if that does it.
acurrysauce

Post by acurrysauce »

I found the solution. Sadly, I do not have a sata optical drive offhand to make sure this is it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=47

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Return to “Installation & Boot”