ReiserFS on root

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

ReiserFS on root

Postby marcus0263 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:30 pm

Well since a flaw in the Ubuntu GUI install not allowing for a ReiserFS on root. I ended up creating a tarball of root, formated the slice with reiser, then extracted the tarball.

Is their an easier way? Is there a ncurses or script to install Mint to bypass this flaw?

Cheers
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby hairy_Palms on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:06 pm

IIRC if you just fire up gparted in the livecd and create a resiserfs partition you can tell home to just use that, or failing that you could always use the alternative install cd for ubuntu
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Postby marcus0263 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:14 pm

hairy_Palms wrote:IIRC if you just fire up gparted in the livecd and create a resiserfs partition you can tell home to just use that, or failing that you could always use the alternative install cd for ubuntu

It's something I believe with the installer. I sliced up the drive and made the file systems before hand through the terminal. But when the installer is launched it insists that it format root and would not allow the selection. It may have issues with different file systems, I made /boot with ext3 then use Reiser for the other file systems. It also doesn't have an issue with XFS, just Reiser. There must be something it doesn't like with the ext3 and Reiser combo.

Anyway the system is installed and I'll play around with it on another box when I have the time.

Cheers
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot