Problems setting up partition. No free space.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ven

Problems setting up partition. No free space.

Post by Ven »

I've been using Mint 8 off the CD and I'm impressed with it, but after trying to install it to my HDD I've been having problems getting a partition to set-up. Currently my main OS is XP Media Center Edition. Running on a Gateway Laptop w/60GB HDD. I've used Gpart (packaged with Mint) which identified multiple operating systems , XP and Media Centre. Gpart showed NO extra accessible room for the Mint installation. My question is how to shrink the XP/Media Center partition to the point where I can have room for Mint. I admit I'm a beginner at this and I'll likely need some plain language hand holding from those more experienced. Meanwhile I'll keep reading the FAQ's and other information I come across.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArcherSeven

Re: Problems setting up partition. No free space.

Post by ArcherSeven »

The term "Gpart" is new to me unless you're talking about GParted, which is Gnome's Partition utility. GParted (run as root, so if it asked for your password, it's right) is capable of resizing partitions and knows how much of a partition has been used, if the partition isn't showing an error. You should be able to click on a partition and select the "resize/move" option. It's often recommended that you defragment first, and if there's an error, it can be hard to overcome, though generally running a disk check and shutting down properly in Windows solves that.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Installation & Boot”