How to format laptop clean? Is this the right word? <SOLVED>

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyP79

How to format laptop clean? Is this the right word? <SOLVED>

Post by AndyP79 »

Hi Ya'll,
Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas on formating my laptop? I tend to reload and do fresh installs quite a bit, and was thinking after a couple of years of doing this if I should have my harddrive wiped completly clean so I get a good install nice and smooth. Or is this not a factor in Linux? I have always heard that even when you reload a little shadow of what was on your drive stays there?? Is this true?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to format laptop clean? Is this the right word?

Post by Biker »

Yes, there are forensic tools that can retrieve data, even if it's been overwritten. However, a plain old regular format will suffice to get your hard drive prepared for new installations.
Linux User #384279
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

With a modern hard disk a simple zero fill or random data fill is enough to make it difficult to retrieve data with all but the best forensic tools. You can always do it more than once but it's not necessary unless you've got highly sensitive data on the disk that may make you extra paranoid. For performance purposes there's no real reason to do anything other than wipe the partition table (ie. quick format), as long as you're using a platter HDD and not an SSD. If using an SSD then you'll want to make sure you reset all cells to a 1 else you'll have performance losses.
AndyP79

Post by AndyP79 »

Thanks Ya'll, I guess then from what you say, I don't really need to worry about it. I just use my laptop for home use and don't have work or other sensitive data on it. I guess that when I reload and choose the box to erase everything on the hard drive it does it's job then.
Thanks again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”