No menu available // 'could not aceess PID File for nmbd'

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No menu available // 'could not aceess PID File for nmbd'

Postby matze_linuxmint on Sat May 15, 2010 7:58 am

Hello,

actually I am a linuxmint newbie but everything worked fine by now...

But, when I started my system yesterday (I have a dual boot installed with XP in parallel, which still works fine), linuxmint did not provide any menu or desktop functionality after the login.
Only the "Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition - Welcome...." window appears in the middle of the screen with some options (Discover Linux Mint, Support Linux Mint, etc.).
E.g. I can start the firefox browser when clicking '...forums`=> I have perfect internet access. But That's all.
I cannot start any program or application or the terminal. There is no menu at all.

When I boot with the "recovery boot option" the follwing menu appears: resume / clean / dpkg / grub / netroot / root

After a few secondes the first topic 'resume' suddenly disappears and the message " 'could not aceess PID File for nmbd' is shown instead.
After a few more seconds somewhere in the screen "/dev/sdb1: 79713.../9155063 clusters" appears.
Then, more error messages appear, but they are spread over the screen. (I can provide them, if necessary)
I have to reboot, because everything is frozen now

When I am quick enough I can chose the dpkg-option, what I did. Then it seemd, that a lot "reorganisation" and update was done: Now all packages seem to be in the most current state, but the problems still exist.

Any idea how I can fix the system - or do I have to reinstall linuxmint... :?:

thanx in advance

matze
matze_linuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No menu available // 'could not aceess PID File for nmbd

Postby remoulder on Wed May 19, 2010 4:55 pm

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Return to Installation & Boot