How to install Mint 9 on MacBook Pro?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msm

Post by msm »

Does anyone know how to install Mint 9 on a 2010 MacBook Pro? I tried downloading it and creating a .iso cd, but after I boot from the cd and choose "Try Linux Mint" nothing happens, except a message saying that the -iso image on the cd isn't valid. But it works fine on a pc...

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheAndyBob

Re: How to install Mint 9 on MacBook Pro?

Post by TheAndyBob »

(I'm a newbie here at explanations on how to do stuff, but i got it working fine with linux mint 8)
It's possible that the DVD wasn't burned properly. You got the Live CD or DVD correct (There's two options. One for a 64 bit and one for a 32 bit system), if you have the wrong one, it won't work.
To burn the iso properly, open up Disk Utility -> click Burn -> find the iso image to burn -> burn away.
Once it's done, it'll probably eject the disk. Now you have a real working Live CD that you can install linux from.
Now instead of retyping a whole explanation on how to install Linux, here's a link on how to do it: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/i ... x_your_mac

My only issue with 9 is choosing the boot loader location. With Linux Mint 8, i had no problem. But for some reason when the option presents itself, i see weird places for the boot loader, and I don't want to choose the wrong one for fear of killing my computers boot :P

Man, I hope that made sense and helps you out :P
Tell me how it works out for yah!
msm

Post by msm »

Many thanks for the detailed reply! Unfortunately it's a well known bug which is causing the issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/576601

Loads of people experience this. I hope they get it resolved soon as I'd like to install Mint 9 on the macbook pro. OS X is nice but Mint is loads better :D
john-a

Post by john-a »

I am by no means an expert but I succesfully installed Mint 9 on my MacBook Pro 5,1 this afternoon. Instructions of exactly what I did are below. The same instructions with pictures are on my blog.

PREPARATION:

1. Backup your system by making a bootable clone of your hard drive. I use SuperDuper. Carbon Copy Cloner is also excellent and FREE.
2. Boot from your backup to ensure it is working properly.
3. Make another backup of your system.
4. Boot from your second backup to ensure it is working properly.
5. VERIFY YOU HAVE STEPS 1-4 COMPLETE. I've done dual-boot set ups a few times. The nuclear option (formatting your hard drive and cloning from a back-up) is often required. If you value your data, make a back-up...or two.
6. Connect to the internet via Ethernet. You'll need to have an ethernet connection to update your hardwire drivers. Additionally during the install, if you have an internet connection, the installer will download and install a few other packages.

INSTALLATION:

1. Download the Linux Mint 9 dmg and burn it to a DVD-R. I used this one. 32-bit i386.

2. Verify the MD5 Checksum. Open a terminal window and enter the following command:

Code: Select all

MD5 /Users/yourusername/Downloads/linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-i386.iso
Wait a minute...and the output will reveal the following:

Code: Select all

MD5 (/Users/yourusername/Downloads/linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-i386.iso) = 4d96965a00135a00f7eb4602a8f4b0f1
If you downloaded the .iso to your Downloads folder change "yourusername" to your user name and the command will output a string of numbers and letters. It should match the MD5 checksum on the download page. If they match, continue. If not, re-download until the MD5 checksum matches. The MD5 checksum MUST match. If it doesn't either the code has been altered or you had a bad download.

3. Use Disk Utility to burn the .iso to a DVD-R. I used the default settings.

4. Download and install rEFIt.

5. Reboot your computer TWICE for rEFIt to take effect. you will know it is installed correctly when you see the rEFIt menu upon initial startup.

6. Repartition your disk using Disk Utility. I created 30GB of Free Space. Most websites say to use Bootcamp Assistant. I used Disk Utility and it worked fine. Click the "+" sign, change the format in the drop down from HFS+ journaled to Free Space. Hit apply.

7. Insert the Linux Mint LiveDVD that you just burned into your DVD drive. Reboot while holding down the "C" key to boot from the Linux Mint DVD.

8. Open the GParted application. Create two partitions. Your Linux partition formatted as ext4 and the swap partition. I created my linux partition so that 4096MiB of free space was left for my swap partition. UNCHECK "Round to cylinders" so that you have no free space between partitions. Next, add the final partition. Ensure it is formatted as "Linux-Swap." Hit "apply" to make the changes. You should now have four partitions.

/dev/sda1 EFI
/dev/sda2 MacOSX
/dev/sda3 Linux
/dev/sda4 Swap

9. Exit GParted and double-click the "Install Linux Mint" icon to begin the installation process. Follow the instructions until you get to Step 4.

10. When you get to Step 4, choose "Specify Partitions Manually." Proceed to Step 5.

11. Step 5, Specifying partitions.

a. Select /dev/sda3 and press "Change..."

b. Choose ext4 Journaling; CHECK the "Format" box; mount at /

c. No change to Swap

d. Proceed with installation until you get to Step 8.

12. At Step 8, click "Advanced..." and choose to install boot loader at /dev/sda3.

13. Proceed with the installation! When installation is complete DO NOT hit "Restart." Instead click on "Continue Testing." Then in the Menu click quit, then click restart.

14. Upon restart, rEFIt should load.

15. Use the down arrow key to launch the partition tool. When I did this, the partitions were already in Sync and there was no need for rEFIt to Synchronize! Sweet!

16. When I chose Linux from rEFIt it did NOT start up. I had to power down by holding the Power button. I then restarted and held down the OPTION key. I chose "Windows" and Linux Mint booted up. I restarted, launched Linux from rEFIt and it worked. I don't know why it did not boot the first time. Just wanted to point this out in case someone had a similar experience. I also noticed that the Linux Mint Logo was not present but the five white/green buttons were there. No problem though, it loads fine.

17. Install your hardware drivers. Reboot. Update your system and you are good to go. You now have a fully functional MacBook Pro dual-booting Mac OS X and Linux Mint 9!
Last edited by john-a on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
msm

Post by msm »

Apparently there is a new .iso for Ubuntu 10.04 that works with the macbook pro 7.1. available now: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/576601

Will Clem or one of the Mint developers incorporate that into Mint 9 as well, by any chance?? :D

Would be great to be able to install Mint 9 via bootcamp instead of using virtualbox.
msm

Post by msm »

Is it possible to make a Mint 9 build based on this Ubuntu build that works on macbook pro 7.1? I don't know much about how it's done, but perhaps someone with a macbook pro has a suggestion...

http://macbookpro7-1.daviey.com/

Return to “Installation & Boot”