installing LinuxMint from a USB device

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

installing LinuxMint from a USB device

Postby svesmeralda on Mon May 17, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi,

I am a new user of LinuxMint, though I have been using Ubuntu Linux for 3 years on a Toshiba Satellite. I also have a Dell Mini-9 that came with Ubuntu 8.04 on it. I was somewhat dissatisfied with the Dell version of Ubuntu so I have been trying to find something better. I did, it is Helena and it worked almost pefrectly out of the box. Since it does not have an optical drive I have been making live CD's on USB devices. I read in the installing tutorial for Isadora that it is preferred to burn to a CD. Is there any thing that I need to be aware of that may happen when using a USB device for the installation? I do have an external optical drive that I can use if needed. It is just not as convenient to use.

I am really impressed with the way almost everything just works with Mint. Thanks.

Jim :D
svesmeralda
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: installing LinuxMint from a USB device

Postby monkeyboy on Tue May 18, 2010 1:36 am

Hey Jim
I used Netbootin to burn Mint 9 (Gnome 64) to a flash drive and it worked just fine on the first try using the standard procedures. However it seemed to take a bit longer to load then I expected. Good luck hope it all works for you.
Monkeyboy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: installing LinuxMint from a USB device

Postby legendkiller on Tue May 18, 2010 2:14 am

i tried netbootin..............but my pc just doesn't pick it up even after tweaking my bios to boot from USB...
legendkiller
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot