LINUX MINT 9 PACKAGE MANAGER PROBLEM FOLLOWING INSTALL

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LINUX MINT 9 PACKAGE MANAGER PROBLEM FOLLOWING INSTALL

Postby Titchi707 on Fri May 21, 2010 5:51 am

Hi,

I have just eagerly installed a persistent version of Linux Mint 9 on a 3.7gb USB pendrive with 3gb allocated as persistent. It boots up fine.
However, both the software restore and package manager throw up the same error 'E: ERROR: could not create configuration directory /root/.synaptic - mkdir (22: Invalid argument)'.

I am a great admirer of Linux Mint and already have Linux Mint 8 installed, but wanted to test problems with installing 9 and restoring my programs etc. so that I can use Mint 9 in the future. I do not want to have to start from scratch with everything.

Also, the software manager opens, but when I try and select install for a download, it does not appear to function.

Is it something to do with Mint 9 or the space on the USB stick maybe or....

I have some experience but am by no means an expert on Linux or use of the terminal.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I have just run in terminal 'sudo dpkg --configure-a' and 'dpkg help'
Both came up with errors, but package manager worked afterwards, so I could download updates successfully.
Package manager now seems to be working OK and restoring my programs,drivers etc.
I don't know why but... great!
Mouse on laptop now working where only usb mouse worked previously (Dell 1530xps)

Many thanks for everybody's efforts

David
Titchi707
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot