Upgrade Process **Solved**

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Upgrade Process **Solved**

Post by subslug »

This is on an Asus 1000HE netbook that was originally running Mint 7. A month ago I completely (successfully) upgraded it to Mint 8 via apt.
Now it's gone from Mint 8 to Mint 9 without much issue except for one package that doesn't seem to be working out.

In order to finish the upgrade I had to remove mint-meta-gnome which, the notes about upgrading from Mint 7 to 8 explained. The upgrade notes about Mint 8 to 9 don't mention this process so I figured it out on my own. Now my only issue is getting the Mint-meta-gnome package re-installed. It's apparently related to a grub2 splash, Synaptic errors message...

Code: Select all

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/grub2-theme-mint_1.0.3_all.deb: unable to open '/boot/grub/linuxmint.png.dpkg-new'
Obviously I've tried removing the downloaded package from cache ands retrying but no luck.
I don't really even know if I need this package, everything appears to be working perfectly so, maybe it's just an old package hung up....?

For reference to anyone else upgrading via apt, this same package kept hanging up the upgrade so I used the -f (force) option to get past it. At one point I even opened Synaptic and let it upgrade as well....for some reason Synaptic would upgrade when apt from a terminal was stuck so, I got all the way done with this one broken package. Honestly a fresh install is faster and cleaner but it's pretty cool that you can go from Mint 7 to 8 and now to 9 just by upgrading.

Now if I could solve this one issue it's all good.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Upgrade Process

Post by subslug »

Update:

This issue has apparently sorted itself out.
I just installed a package from Synaptic (Gwibber) and during the process it removed a few packages. Some of these must have been the ones with issues because I no longer show any broken packages so....

Looks the the upgrade was a success.

Return to “Installation & Boot”