(Solved) Grub rescue after changing partition in XP

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
highflyer

(Solved) Grub rescue after changing partition in XP

Post by highflyer »

Hello

There are quite some topics around concerning boot problems and more, unfortunately I'm quite new in the Linux environment and can't see the trees trough the wood anymore.
1) I installed windows XP and after that started Linux Mint install on a side by side installation on my HD. Up until there no problem.
2) I realised after the re-partitioning but before the Mint install that I did not want to install it side by side as it reduced my windows partition by half and I had enough space left elsewhere on my HD. So I re-configured manually my Linux partition.
and installed Isadora on the bigger newer partition.
Still no issue here, I could boot both linux and XP from the bootloader and they both worked fine.
3) After that I deleted the partition in XP that was split up wrongly (2) and enlarged my XP partition again.
When rebooting this time however I ran into a grub rescue command line saying (if I remeber correctly) unable to boot.

Any idea what the problem is and how can I recover the bootmenu?

Best regards...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bob5

Re: Grub rescue after changing partition in XP

Post by bob5 »

hi

-if you download the ubuntu manual @ http://ubuntu-manual.org/
and look in the Troubleshooting bit under Ubuntu fails to start after I’ve installed Windows .

-follow it through .
highflyer

Post by highflyer »

Thanks

I ran through the troubleshooting, after rebooting this time I get access to the minimal bash commands in grub and when I run the live CD now I see that all my partitions are visible again.
One step forward already :) , any other tips from this point on?

I also looked into the ubuntu help forum (ubuntu after installing windows).
followed following command:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/00006c16-3621-4834-a4d5-1a4d0205aa66 /dev/sda

unfortunately this is the reply I get:
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot (is /dev mounted?).
Installation finished. No error reported.

Then I tried to mount /dev (if mount /dev is the right command) where I get: mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /dev
mount failed

Any suggestions?

greetz!
highflyer

Post by highflyer »

Well the problem seems to be solved...
Tought the commands I ran through did not work but when rebooting to check a second time the normal bootloader menu popped up again. :D

Thanks for the help!

Highflyer
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi

no probs mark this a solved !!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”