Installation Problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
myballsglow

Installation Problem

Post by myballsglow »

So, I'm totally new to Linux but I was so excited to try my first install. A few days ago my wife's Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop had hard drive failure and of course I
never had gotten around to making a boot disk with the Lenovo utilities and since the hdd is cooked the recovery partition does little to help... :( But I digress.

So this was now my big chance to test out linux since I really don't want to buy a new Windows OS to install on her computer. I downloaded Mint Live DVD last night, checked
the m5sum as the user guide instructed, dvd seems just fine. I checked the BIOS on her computer, boot sequence was already set to boot from DVD drive, so I placed the
disc in the computer and started the boot process. Everything seems to work just fine, I can get to the menu screen, but then when I try to "start mint" or "check disc integrity" I get to a black screen that says "Loading /casper/initrd.lz.............." On the second row of dots the cursor gets about two-thirds across the screen then just sits and blinks, nothing happens after this, just sits there....forever, I let it sit for a very long time last night and nothing happens. So far not so good....please help me I really need to get her
computer up and going today. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Installation Problem

Post by oobetimer »

myballsglow wrote:So, I'm totally new to Linux but I was so excited to try my first install. A few days ago my wife's Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop had hard drive failure and of course I
never had gotten around to making a boot disk with the Lenovo utilities and since the hdd is cooked the recovery partition does little to help... :( But I digress.

So this was now my big chance to test out linux since I really don't want to buy a new Windows OS to install on her computer. I downloaded Mint Live DVD last night, checked
the m5sum as the user guide instructed, dvd seems just fine. I checked the BIOS on her computer, boot sequence was already set to boot from DVD drive, so I placed the
disc in the computer and started the boot process. Everything seems to work just fine, I can get to the menu screen, but then when I try to "start mint" or "check disc integrity" I get to a black screen that says "Loading /casper/initrd.lz.............." On the second row of dots the cursor gets about two-thirds across the screen then just sits and blinks, nothing happens after this, just sits there....forever, I let it sit for a very long time last night and nothing happens. So far not so good....please help me I really need to get her
computer up and going today. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Probably some other distro works better on her computer. Mint 9 is quite unstable so far, so I recommend Mandriva instead .. :D

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mandriva

http://mandriva-fi.org/foorumi/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1920

http://translate.google.fi/translate?hl ... 26t%3D1920
Last edited by oobetimer on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myballsglow

Re: Installation Problem

Post by myballsglow »

Okay I can look at that...i was hoping that someone might have a solution to the problem so that I can use mint as I thought that Mint was supposedly
the most user-friendly linux distro for newbies...maybe I was wrong.

Return to “Installation & Boot”