Netbook installation questions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jfmanamtr

Netbook installation questions

Post by jfmanamtr »

Hi all. I have some questions about installing Linux Mint 9 (main 32-bit version) on an Asus EEE PC 900. I have been looking all over google for what needs to be tweaked for installing Linux Mint on the SSD that came in the EEE PC. The thing is that I get no clear cut statement on what should be done to tweak for an SSD. I see that most people say that doing noatime is a good idea, but I am wondering what else needs to be done to prolong my SSD's life if I install Mint 9 on the PC. Thanks for all your help ahead of time!

~John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distrohopper

Re: Netbook installation questions

Post by distrohopper »

You might want to use ext3 (instead of ext4), I think it will do less overall writing to the drive.
jfmanamtr

Post by jfmanamtr »

Ok. So, any other ideas on what I can do to make Linux Mint more SSD-friendly?

~John
meskarune

Post by meskarune »

This might be of some help: http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/09/0 ... te-drives/

But since you've got a netbook, you might not want to have everything go to ram, since you'll have a limited amount of ram available.
jfmanamtr

Post by jfmanamtr »

I upgraded my RAM from the 512M that came in it to 1 GB. Do you think that is enough to do the tmp in RAM tweak?

~John
jfmanamtr

Post by jfmanamtr »

Ok. After looking around the internet again, I have a few questions. First, what filesystem is the best for use on an SSD or does that really even matter? I have seen arguments for & against ext2, ext3 & ext4. What kernel options & filesystem settings do I need? I have seen that noatime for the root filesystem (only partition I have) is good & that using elevator=noop or elevator=deadline are good kernel parameters. Does it matter if I use the RAM disk or not & how do I set that up?

~John

Return to “Installation & Boot”