clean install LM9

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DarinB

clean install LM9

Post by DarinB »

I just did a clean install of lm 9 i had lm8
i was using thunderbird 2.0023
i copied over my pref.js and my addressbook.mob
my mail folder everything in side is now locked
i copied the extension folder and then Thunderbird did not open so removed it
not sure what to do....should everything be in the .Thunderbird or .mozilla-thunderbird????
i have in both the .Mozilla-Thunderbird i managed to get the local folder there but no emails. and can't send receive emails.
i definately need some help i can start from scratch if need be i have my old home folder on an external hard drive but i can't seem to copy anything from the .mozilla-thunderbird inless i am admin.
and that seems to lock all the files.
i also just got an error trying to send my self a test message that the email can not be saved to the sent folder??? and it would not send it at all. ?????
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DarinB

Re: clean install LM9

Post by DarinB »

there's got to be a better way....i just went through my entire .Mozilla-Thunderbird folder and redid all the permissions and had to do it on each sub folder and file now every thing actually works fine except of course i had to add a header compactor. and i am continuing to tweak stuff. crazy i hope i am good with this until 2013
sheesh it was only an upgrade from lm8 to 9 you would think a just copying over the entire home folder would do it but i got so many error messages i had to reinstall and pick an choose what to copy over. oh well
its better than an eight hour windows reinstall every 3 months because of some insane virus.
vincent

Re: clean install LM9

Post by vincent »

In Mint 8 and Thunderbird 2, Thunderbird's profile was located in ~/.mozilla-thunderbird; in Mint 9 and Thunderbird 3, it's ~/.thunderbird, just to let you know.

I bet you're having a permissions issue...try and see if the following terminal command fixes this problem:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod -R 775 ~/.thunderbird
Edit: Ah, so it was a permissions issue. Remember, in cases like this, the terminal and "chmod" are your friends. A single command can save you hours of manual clicking and all that. :P

Return to “Installation & Boot”