Can't login and grub is missing.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
_sluimers_

Can't login and grub is missing.

Post by _sluimers_ »

My laptop was working all fine and dandy, though grub was missing after moving to Isadora when suddenly during a boot all kinds of errors popped up and I had to restart.
Now, whenever I boot I can only get a far as the loginscreen or the login section of a terminal, but can't login. As soon as the password has been typed it goes back to the login section on the terminal and it greys out on X.
Keyboard and mouse work fine, I.. just.. can't...login! aaarggghhh!!!

I'm using a liveUSB now to see if my harddrive is still intact and I notice 1MB of my harddrive is now unallocated on GParted.
However, it's not showing on fsck -l.
I tried re-installing grub but to no avail.

I'm out of ideas here, is there anyone who can help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Can't login and grub is missing.

Post by oobetimer »

_sluimers_ wrote:My laptop was working all fine and dandy, though grub was missing after moving to Isadora when suddenly during a boot all kinds of errors popped up and I had to restart.
Now, whenever I boot I can only get a far as the loginscreen or the login section of a terminal, but can't login. As soon as the password has been typed it goes back to the login section on the terminal and it greys out on X.
Keyboard and mouse work fine, I.. just.. can't...login! aaarggghhh!!!

I'm using a liveUSB now to see if my harddrive is still intact and I notice 1MB of my harddrive is now unallocated on GParted.
However, it's not showing on fsck -l.
I tried re-installing grub but to no avail.

I'm out of ideas here, is there anyone who can help?
A resolution is too high. You have to make or reconfigure the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 12#p287717

Return to “Installation & Boot”