Mint 8 - partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
castan

Mint 8 - partitions

Post by castan »

Good afternoon,

I recently installed Mint 8 in dual boot a from Windows XP using Unetbootin (my computer is a Dell inspiron and has no CD player)... and I could no go beyond the "Partitions menu" with the following message :

Your installation medium is on dev(slash)sda2. You will not be able to create, delete or resize partitions on this disk, but you may be able to install to existing partions there.

sda1 (fat16) 39.2 MB (yellow square)
sda2 (ntfs) 140.06 GB (pink square)

(slash) dev (slash) sda
(slash) dev (slash) sda1 fat 16
(slash) dev (slash) sda2 ntfs

I am a real beginner. What should I do to install mint 8 from this stage (step by step) ?

Thanks in advance
Castan :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: Mint 8 - partitions

Post by beefstu »

Your installation medium is on dev(slash)sda2. You will not be able to create, delete or resize partitions on this disk
This sounds like you're trying to install mint on the same place that you have the installation files.

what do you mean by
from Windows XP?
as in using mint4win (not in mint 8)?

Is this what you are trying to achieve:
You have XP installed on the whole disk, you want to dual boot Mint and XP?

If so, its probably best to resize the partitions from within XP to free up the amount of space you want to give Mint. When you then try to install Mint, on the partitions menu, you should be able to then just choose to install in the largest continuous free space.

Just a note, is there any reason you are using Mint 8 instead of 9?
StanTheMan

Re: Mint 8 - partitions

Post by StanTheMan »

Your partition list shows a 'fat16' partition at sda1.
This reminds me of a setup used in Partition Magic to create a small boot partition for Windows.
If this is 'Boot Magic' you should try to get rid of this. It would conflict with a Linukx bootloader system.
Win XP should be on sda1 (which would then be Windows C:drive) and would fit in with the Linux grub bootloader process.

Return to “Installation & Boot”