Installation problem with Linux Mint 9 LiveCD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
prasub

Installation problem with Linux Mint 9 LiveCD

Post by prasub »

I am facing installation problem using Linux Mint 9 LiveCD on a desktop PC that is presently running MS Windows XP Professional (version 2002) - Service Pack 3. But the same LiveCD performed a successful installation on my laptop that was running Linux Mint 6 - Felicia.

Steps that I followed:
(1) Downloaded Linux Mint 9 from one of the mirror sites
(2) Verified the MD5 checksum
(3) Burnt the image to CD
(4) Rebooted my Laptop using the LiveCD and did an integrity check of the LiveCD. It passed.
(5) Installed Linux Mint 9 successfully on my laptop. Period.
(6) Decided to replace the Home Desktop PC running Windows XP with Linux Mint 9.
(7) Rebooted the Home PC with the Live CD. It took unusually more time to load and start Linux Mint 9 OS from LiveCD
(8) Once loaded, I tried to install Linux Mint and it hung up before the partition step in the Installation wizard with a mount error (forgot the error code).
(9) I repeated step (7) and it takes forever.

What could be the issue? If the CD ran successfully on my laptop and is not successful with the Desktop, then could be an issue with the DVD RW drive in the Desktop.

Here is some technical info with regards to the Desktop PC:

The motherboard BIOS says it has three IDE channels; IDE channel 0 has HDD acting as master and DVDW drive as slave.

Hard disk drive is Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 and it has been verified using WD software with regards to bad sectors scan. The drive is clean and has passed HDD tests. It is a 80GB HDD and is equally partitioned as 20 GB parts. Drive C (boot) has NTFS while Drive D has FAT32. The other two partitions are NTFS formatted.

DVDW drive is TSST Corp CD/DVDW SH-S182F (SB01 version)

The available RAM is 777216 K (760 MB). The processor is Intel Pentium D 2.80 GHz.

System is Compaq Presario (Model # SG2080IL). BIOS ID 865 M12.00.HP.3.13

[UPDATE]

I updated the DVDW driver issued by the Manufacturer. In this case, Samsung. The Installation (as indicated by Step 7) took some time and I was able to proceed further after the hard-disk format page. On 22% of the installation, there was an error dialog indicating and I/O error and that the CD/DVD drive could be an issue. I might have to loan or buy a new DVD drive to check if this is really the case.

Any other input is certainly appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
prasub

Re: Installation problem with Linux Mint 9 LiveCD

Post by prasub »

I think the issue is now resolved. I replaced the DVDW drive with a new one and Linux Mint 9 installed without a hitch. So, I guess, the earlier drive was faulty!

Return to “Installation & Boot”