Create USB live thumbdrive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Create USB live thumbdrive

Post by chiefjim »

Searching the forums is producing more confusion than solutions. Perhaps I'm just making things more complex than they really are.

What I wish to do is create an installation on a USB bootable thumbdrive. Believe a keyword might be "persistent" as I wish to save files created while using it back to the thumbdrive. Would someone kindly mention what applications are needed for this? Mint 8 or 9 depending on which is the most straightforward process.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
techtype

Re: Create USB live thumbdrive

Post by techtype »

In Mint 9 go to -- "Control Center" --- "Startup Disk Creator" and use with an untouched or remastered iso of Mint. Choose to erase the disk so that you can set an amount of space to be used for persistance.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

techtype wrote:In Mint 9 go to -- "Control Center" --- "Startup Disk Creator" and use with an untouched or remastered iso of Mint. Choose to erase the disk so that you can set an amount of space to be used for persistance.
Running into a problem with this. The basic install works fine up to when I want to check updates, then the thumbdrive runs out of room. Thought perhaps the 4GB unit was too small but the same thing happens with an 8GB drive.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
techtype

Post by techtype »

chiefjim wrote:
techtype wrote:In Mint 9 go to -- "Control Center" --- "Startup Disk Creator" and use with an untouched or remastered iso of Mint. Choose to erase the disk so that you can set an amount of space to be used for persistance.
Running into a problem with this. The basic install works fine up to when I want to check updates, then the thumbdrive runs out of room. Thought perhaps the 4GB unit was too small but the same thing happens with an 8GB drive.
When you erase the drive, the option to create a persistent file has a slider bar. You have to drag the slider to create a much larger file than the very small default one. Give it at least a gigabyte.

Return to “Installation & Boot”