Dual boot Mint and XP on seperate hard drives?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Dual boot Mint and XP on seperate hard drives?

Post by ambertone »

Hi all, I'm stuck with XP for my accounting software and Farcry. I've always had XP and Mint on the same physical drive but am going to add a second hard drive into the PC and have XP on one and Mint on the other.

What is the correct procedure so that I can both install and then get a boot screen to choose the OS I wish to boot?

All help appreciated.

Cheers

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Dual boot Mint and XP on seperate hard drives?

Post by scorp123 »

ambertone wrote:What is the correct procedure so that I can both install and then get a boot screen to choose the OS I wish to boot?
Install Windows first. It has the nasty habit of killing your master boot record (MBR). Too bad if you had GRUB installed there: It will be gone after Windows has installed itself there. So you will need to repair GRUB and all that .... So it's better to install Windows first, and Linux afterwards.

Other than that the procedure is the same as if you had them on the same disk. GRUB goes onto the MBR of the first disk, that's it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”