Hide/unhide windows in GRUB 2

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Northwinds

Hide/unhide windows in GRUB 2

Post by Northwinds »

Hi all
Really new to Linux here so please be gentle.
I just reset my desktop with two copies of win xp sp3 and Linux Mint on the one drive.
I decided to dive in and have a proper look at Linux at last and was recommended Mint as a good starting place.

However, although Grub did a great job of identifying and entering all 3 OS's in the bootloader, both versions of xp are visible and I need to have them hidden from each other when they boot.

I used to use Partitionmagic to achieve this when I was only using Windows, but would like to use just GRUB from now on.

Any advice please?

Much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwevej

Re: Hide/unhide windows in GRUB 2

Post by kwevej »

I need to have them hidden from each other when they boot.
Grub doesn't change the "relationship" of your Windows. It is just a boot loader.
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

I did read there was a way to achieve this in earlier versions of GRUB - no one have any ideas?
Please?

Thanks.
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

You can hide certain items from grub, but what are u really trying to achieve? You won't be able to boot to the windows then.
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

Well I had a dual boot system with 2 win xp's on it and when resetting it I decided to add in a copy of Mint.
And rather than using Norton's Patitionmagic which left me with major problems on several occassions I thought I'd try using Grub instead.
However I need both XP's not to be able to see each other as I have all my windows applications on another partition and they both need to think they are "C" drive in relation to it.

So I'd really like some way, when booting through Grub, that if I choose one of the windows installs the other is automatically hidden for the time being.
As I said I used to use Norton Partitionmagic, but it often left me in a lot of trouble.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”