[SOLVED] How do I remove grub?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
danjull

[SOLVED] How do I remove grub?

Post by danjull »

I'm fairly new to linux and installed mint 9. Just for trying it out, I also installed Ubuntu studio. It didn't have a live cd, so I had to install it to try it out. It partitioned and put the grub bootloader on there. Now, after not really needing what ubuntu studio offered, I removed it and the partition so I just have one hard drive. Well, of course the bootloader isn't happy with that at all and I can't boot Mint 9 now. All I get when I turn the computer on is "No such partition" and the Grub rescue> promt. How do I fix this without loosing what's already on the hard drive? I can live with loosing it, but I'd rather not. I'd rather not have a bootloader at all, since I just have one OS on the computer and intend to keep it that way. I just want to turn my computer on and have Mint load with no menu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I remove grub?

Post by mzsade »

You need to recover grub not remove it, boot with your Mint live CD and follow instructions here, http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/06/how ... ndows.html,
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
danjull

Post by danjull »

mzsade wrote:You need to recover grub not remove it, boot with your Mint live CD and follow instructions here, http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/06/how ... ndows.html,
Ok, it's back to working order now. But I get a bootloader menu when I first start the computer now, which I'd rather now have. How do I set it up so I never see that boot menu?
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Boot with the live CD, delete/reformat the partitions that do not have Mint using Gparted (make sure you know which ones to delete), then reboot into your installation and run "sudo update-grub".
You will still have a boot menu though with the Recovery mode and Mem test. There is a way to remove these too, i will have to look it up, but i do not advise it.
danjull

Post by danjull »

mzsade wrote:Boot with the live CD, delete/reformat the partitions that do not have Mint using Gparted (make sure you know which ones to delete), then reboot into your installation and run "sudo update-grub".
You will still have a boot menu though with the Recovery mode and Mem test. There is a way to remove these too, i will have to look it up, but i do not advise it.
I can live with a menu, even though when I just had mint installed I didn't have one. But how do I set it to automatically boot after a few seconds? And there's a lot of crap on the menu now. The old ubuntu is still on there. Do update-grub take care of that? I don't have any partitions anymore, just two hard drives, one with Mint 9 and one for storage.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Search for Startup Manager in mintMenu > All Applications. It provides a nice little GUI to configure things, including automatically booting after a few seconds and the like. The manual way involves manually editing /etc/default/grub with root privileges and running the update-grub command afterwards, in case you're interested in doing so via the terminal.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Yeah update-grub will take care of that provided you have reformatted those partitions with Gparted from the live CD, and bookmark this link, i just did, http://linuxers.org/howto/how-configure ... ubuntu-910.

I quote from there, if you don't want memtest86+ menu entry all you have to do is remove the executable permissions from the script that generates that entry (/etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+).

"sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+" and,

If you want to remove the "boot in recovery mode" entry then you can do that by uncommenting (removing the # symbol) this line in /etc/default/grub file

GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=true
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

With Startup Manager you should be able to get rid of the boot menu by unchecking "Show boot splash"
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

markcynt wrote:With Startup Manager you should be able to get rid of the boot menu by unchecking "Show boot splash"
Yes, but the grub menu options will still be there, so won't it take the same time to get to the kernel? Just asking... :|
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

The OP said he'd rather not see a bootloader at all.

As far as boot time goes I'm not sure, maybe a second will be saved? I really don't know.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

My bad, i thought that the OP was concerned with boot speed too, anyway, if it's only a second or two or even ten, it shouldn't matter, in fact it would be better to retain all the options and do as you advised..just in case.
danjull

Post by danjull »

Ok, I got it fixed. Thanks a million for the help!! I really appreciate it. I just hate clutter, I want my computer as clean as possible.
thebeav

Re: [SOLVED] How do I remove grub?

Post by thebeav »

Greetings!

If there is still any interest I totally removed GRUB from an XP box running Xubuntu.

I'll gather my dissipated thoughts and put keyboard to screen upon request.

Running Mint on this one and it's GREAT!

Later.

Return to “Installation & Boot”