Will this break my computer?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
etrcap

Will this break my computer?

Post by etrcap »

Hi I'm new to Mint and I just tried out the liveCD and I love it -- better than my bugged and broken Ubuntu.

So I currently have 3 OS's installed on my EEE Pc netbook:
Windows XP on primary partition
Ubuntu 9 server with Gnome/KDE
Backtrack 4 Pre-release

My computer boots up using the grub bootloader; my grub configuration file is in my Ubuntu partition. If I were to overwrite the Ubuntu partition with Mint (i.e. Mint uses that partition), will grub be messed up? Or will Mint be able to handle it? I've had the Grub "no disk" problem before, and it's scary!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Will this break my computer?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you install Mint over Ubuntu using this procedure,

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/94

Mint should put in its own Grub and set up a new boot menu showing Windows XP, backtrack 4, and Mint as default.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

etrcap wrote:Hi I'm new to Mint and I just tried out the liveCD and I love it -- better than my bugged and broken Ubuntu.

So I currently have 3 OS's installed on my EEE Pc netbook:
Windows XP on primary partition
Ubuntu 9 server with Gnome/KDE
Backtrack 4 Pre-release

My computer boots up using the grub bootloader; my grub configuration file is in my Ubuntu partition. If I were to overwrite the Ubuntu partition with Mint (i.e. Mint uses that partition), will grub be messed up? Or will Mint be able to handle it? I've had the Grub "no disk" problem before, and it's scary!
Just tell Mint to wipe the entire drive. You don't need Windows XP on there at all.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

I have installed Mint over Ubuntu , and vide versa.
The neew insttaller reformats the / partition that is being overwritten.
But the /home partition may have some conflicts in Uer settings , unless the old system had a similar desktop. I presume you are using Gnome in both cases, which would be okay.
The new installation overwrites the First drive MBR and targets the / partition to get the new bootloader list.

Return to “Installation & Boot”