triple column screen Dell Inspiron 8000

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Postby Mdmint on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:43 am

Hello!
I'm trying to boot Linux Mint (tried all versions) on a Dell Inspiron 8000 with ATI Rage M4 video. When the desktop loads the screen is dissected into three columns with the left column being the left side of the screen and the middle and right columns being the far right side of the screen. I had installed mint in safe graphics mode and struggled through an install (hard to get to bottom of windows in such a small screen window) and then tried to update Envy and got an error that I was unable to do this.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! I have Linux Mint on a Dell Dimension L600R and a Gateway Profile 3 and love them both, but this Dell laptop is giving me fits.

Thanks !
MDMint
Mdmint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:02 am

I have seen that there are issues with the M4
then tried to update Envy and got an error that I was unable to do this.

What error do you get?
That Envy can't install drivers or what?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Mdmint on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:55 am

It shows an ati driver installer error with an MD5 error, then finds and installs ati installer and then proceeds to install and tries to startx, getting the blue screen and round and round we go :) I have been running envy via text mode (sudo envy -t).

BTW, I have spent time upgrading the whole distro and then running Envy and it hasn't worked yet. When I would boot the livecd I coujld get full screen, but with the three columns described above. Then I booted in safe graphics mode to install and now am at this point. I know there is just some tweak - but can't quite get it.

mdmint
Mdmint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mdmint on Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:53 pm

I tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and it worked! I now have a normal screen without three columns. Not sure why Envy wasn't cooperating.

:)

Mdmint
Mdmint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:48 am

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
does things that an install of the driver does not and vice versa
It seemed to me like a broken driver - which it was not as your command worked - so I did not consider it
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: triple column screen Dell Inspiron 8000

Postby KingTahdi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:30 pm

I am getting the columned screed on my Dell Inspiron 8000. I am completely new to linux and don't know the command lines. When I type sudo dpkg-reconfig xserver-xorg it ask for my password and I give it, then it restarts a blank command line. I retype and then hit enter, get a new command line. This leads me to believe human error is afoot. Also, there is some software rendering mode message suggesting that I do something, but the image is un readable due to screen sections. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
KingTahdi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: triple column screen Dell Inspiron 8000

Postby Reorx on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:43 pm

KT;

You replied to a 6 year old thread! If you are looking for help, you might want to start your own thread...
Procrastinate now!
Reorx
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot