Installing on a Laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintyFree

Installing on a Laptop

Post by MintyFree »

Hey all, quick question. Does wifi work by default in Mint 7 Xfce or Mint 8 KDE? Going to install Linux in a park where I can only get wifi so if it's not I'm forked.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: Installing on a Laptop

Post by bobcollard »

MintyFree wrote:Hey all, quick question. Does wifi work by default in Mint 7 Xfce or Mint 8 KDE? Going to install Linux in a park where I can only get wifi so if it's not I'm forked.
It depends! ! The main problem is your proprietary driver for your Network Card. If you need one, you have to have a hardwired Ethernet hookup to install it. The original Network card in my computer was a Broadcom 4312 and it needed to have a driver installed. Now, after that burned out, I have a USB Netgear WG111v3 dongle and it does not need a driver. Good luck.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

As bobcollard says, "It depends." You could search the Ubuntu forum for your laptop to see if it's compatible or not. OR, look at these threads:

Desktop Hardware Compatibility List: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361236
Desktop Hardware Incompatibility List: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361237
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

If the wireless card is good out of the box then would it work on a Live CD boot or would I have to install it to see?
emkamau

Post by emkamau »

AFAIK if the card works in the LiveCD it should work fine in the install.

emk

Return to “Installation & Boot”