New multi-boot install, can't access linux

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hyraxx

New multi-boot install, can't access linux

Post by Hyraxx »

I installed Linux for the first time on a 2 hard drive computer. I have vista installed on sdb1, xp installed on sdb5, Linux installed on sdb3, swap area on sdb6, and a dedicated harddrive for storage on sda1 .

I set the partitions manually.

created the sdb3 linux partition with the ext4 file system with the mount point "/"
When asked to import, it looks like it is saying the vista boot loader is on sdb1
"The following partitions are going to be formatted:
partition #6 of SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sdb) as swap
partition #3 of SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sdb) as ext4"

under advanced
install bootloader is checked
/dev/sda

After installing Linux on default, when the computer reboots, it immediately shows the vista bootloader with no access to linux. I am at a loss on how to correct this. I tried reinstalling playing with the advanced bootloader options, changing the device for the boot loader installation to sdb . That has not worked.

I don't want my linux experience to be limited to a livecd :(

(posting from the live cd of Mint 9 Isadora)

Thanks!!!

I don't think the menu.lst is created. I search for it and it can't be found.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: New multi-boot install, can't access linux

Post by vincent »

You say that you tried installing Grub to /dev/sdb instead, and it didn't work out? Hmmm...is it possible for you to pull out whatever hard drive is being recognized as /dev/sda from your computer during the installation, and re-run it again? Then there would be no confusion as to which hard drive Grub will be installed to. Failing that, you could always try installing the Grub bootloader manually, e.g. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover%2 ... a%20LiveCD

Note that Mint 8/Ubuntu 9.10 and later versions all use Grub 2, not Grub Legacy. Therefore, there is no "menu.lst" file anywhere to be found on your system; look for /boot/grub/grub.cfg instead if you wish to configure boot options (but the process is quite different from Grub Legacy, so if you're following some old tutorials, they likely won't work).
Hyraxx

Re: New multi-boot install, can't access linux

Post by Hyraxx »

That wiki link worked! When following that tutorial however, It said to edit the grub.cfg to fit my system. I didn't see any options pertaining to my system, so I just installed it as it was and it worked!

Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”