Where is the installer (SOLVED)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
4dogdad

Where is the installer (SOLVED)

Post by 4dogdad »

Hi, I downloaded and burned Linuxmint 9 - gnome - 64 bit CD version ( not DVD). I can get up and running from the live cd but I can't find the installer. Does this version have one? If I use the windows installer, can I place the distro on a separate drive or will it incorporate it into windows like any other windows program?

I have been running Mint 6 (dual boot) for a while and expected Mint 9 to have a similar installer.

Thanks in advance ... Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Where is the installer

Post by dawgdoc »

4dogdad wrote:I have been running Mint 6 (dual boot) for a while and expected Mint 9 to have a similar installer.

Thanks in advance ... Mike
When you boot to the live CD there should be an icon on the desktop. It should be in the top left of the screen, maybe the 3rd icon down.
4dogdad

Post by 4dogdad »

There are NO icons on the desktop and I can't locate the installer in any of the menu items. Other than that the livecd seems to be working properly.

If I install from within windows, how does that work after installation? I assume Mint would be slower than if I had a dual boot installation.

Mike
vincent

Post by vincent »

No icons on desktop? That's unusual...have you checked the .iso file's md5sum and ran an integrity check on your CD?

If nothing's wrong with your copy of Linux Mint, open up a terminal (mintMenu > Terminal) and type:

Code: Select all

ubiquity
And follow the on-screen directions.

Using mint4win to install Mint will install Mint in the same way as any other program in Windows, and I personally don't recommend it if you can use a dual-boot setup instead.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

4dogdad wrote:There are NO icons on the desktop and I can't locate the installer in any of the menu items.
If I install from within windows, how does that work after installation? I assume Mint would be slower than if I had a dual boot installation.
Mike
I have never seen that there were no icons in either the live CD or installed situations. (I have Mint dual booted on a laptop and desktop.) I have never installed inside windows using the mint4win option so I can not remark on icons or speed in this install method.

Otherwise, go with vincent's suggestion.
4dogdad

Post by 4dogdad »

I managed to get Mint9 installed using the terminal with "ubiquity" command. However, I am getting a "grub" error and cannot get Mint9 to run from the hard drive.

Question: is there a way to fix grub without trying another installation?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Try this first, in terminal enter

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
(When you enter your sudo password, nothing will show on the screen, type the password then hit enter.)
Reboot and see if it is fixed.

If not, see this post on recovering grub. I first saw the link posted by vincent. The tutorial mentions Ubuntu LiveCD, you can use a Mint LiveCD.
4dogdad

Post by 4dogdad »

Well that worked and now all is fine. Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”