dell 1505 install trouble

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

dell 1505 install trouble

Postby ti479 on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:06 pm

this particular error keeps appearing on most installations that are based or conneted to ubuntu. i would really like to use mint but i am a newbie and i am begining to wonder why i would want to . can anyone please help me? i would really appreciate the help.

Edit by husse// It seems that we are missing at least one post in the beginning of this topic
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:26 am

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

dell 1505

Postby ti479 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:22 pm

i would try the solution provided in the wiki-- except that i dont get far enought in the installation to open a terminal.
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:45 am

Now I'm at a loss. Are you trying to install? Does this error make an install impossible?
That would surprise me. If you haven't installed you should install and then fix bcm43xxx - by following the advice in the wiki for the Linux driver. I think it generally works OK now
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby jammadave on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:24 pm

Husse -

I was about to post this same issue, with the same laptop model, as a new thread myself. Please help me and ti479, o great gurus of the cool refreshing OS! =0) PS, hi, I'm new here.

Here's the deal: I wanted to run Linux in a LiveCD so that I can decide whether or not to go for the install. I have both Ubuntu Feisty and now Mint Cassandra on boot CDs, and both give me the same error that ti479 stated. (Actually, I got Feisty in to dualboot against my Windows with WUBI, but the same error applies - and I'd rather have Mint i think anyway)

What may not be immediately obvious to those experienced with these OSes, though, is/are the following:

- The computer goes from the off state, through the Live CD boot most of the way, but then stops at this bcm43xx error. Because of this error, X will not start at all. No desktop, not even one time for a peek. (I have not once seen a Gnome desktop on the machine - both live CDs and the wubi dual-boot install of ubuntu have all resulted in the above).

- Because of the above, I'm not even given a chance to assign a primary user login for Mint, let alone have the rights to sudo anything.

- Further, when I force a terminal prompt (to ti479: Ctrl+Alt+F1), in an attempt to follow the wiki about this wifi issue, i can't gksudo or gedit, because X hasn't started. (I also found that there is no "modprobe" or similar anywhere in /etc. so even editing from the command line was impossible)

So, imagine my computer, for all intents and purposes (because i'm trying to use a LiveCD) is completely devoid of anything - OS, files, network connectivity, nothing. And I wanna get to the desktop from nothing, using this booting CD. What do I do? I'm sure this will help the original poster as well.

(Side note: found out the video card is an ATI Radeon X1600, too, so we'll both likely have that to contend with immediately after getting to the desktop.)

The Ubuntu forum, usually very nice to talk with, just kind of left me dangling with this one. All info I can find in a search of forums or the web itself turns up the same solution as posted in the Wiki, but that solution assumes you're installed and have been to the desktop before, and nothing says what to do if that doesn't work. (Nor does it say why a wireless card issue would ever, ever stop a GUI from running.)

Thanks!
Dave
jammadave
Level 1
Level 1

dell 1505 install

Postby ti479 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:27 pm

Thank you Dave, you have hit it on the head. can i get an amen here.

i have found that older editions of Ubuntu will load (however they do not work

with my wireless out of the box) with little trouble. i am not sure what Mepis

is based on but 6.5 loaded easily and no wifi problems! i would prefer to

have mint linux but this is getting impossible.

anyway thanks Dave.

scott
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:33 am

This is new to me, I'll have to come back to you when I have more time.
However I believe that the not_starting_x_problem could be somehting with the driver
jammadave you seem to know a bit Linux - could you try to boot with the vesa driver, a description here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
Oh - and welcome
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby jammadave on Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:42 am

Husse wrote:This is new to me, I'll have to come back to you when I have more time.
However I believe that the not_starting_x_problem could be somehting with the driver
jammadave you seem to know a bit Linux - could you try to boot with the vesa driver, a description here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
Oh - and welcome

Thanks Husse -

I know I sound like I know what I'm talking about - it's because I'm straining my brain to bring back Unix knowledge that I had some 10 years ago and make it useful in this entirely new environment. I actually don't have any experience with a working linux OS - the above attempts are my first foray into it and as you can see they're not going well.

That said, I think I'm familiar with the wiki howto for changing the display driver to vesa - BUT, with X not starting at all due to the broadcom issue (instead of a display issue), I don't think it would actually help, considering that it won't save due to the LiveCD and the same will reoccur on the next boot.

What the original poster and I need is a way to tackle the broadcom issue, and then change the display driver, without leaving the CLI until they're fixed and X can start. =0\
jammadave
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jammadave on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:56 am

anyone? anyone? bueller??

=0)
dave
jammadave
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:15 am

I have a new work schedule so I have little time left for Mint in some weeks, but I'll take a look at this tomorrow friday
Remember we're all unpaid volunteers (except Clem and he can't live off Mint either)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby jammadave on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:34 am

oh I understand, it's the nature of open source. No sweat, just trying to get a little bump for the OP and myself.
jammadave
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:49 am

Hi

Is the 1505 the same as 6400/1505 ?

If so try this:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install ... -wifi.html

Installing Feisty On 6400/1505 With Script
Initial Install and Preparation
Download the Ubuntu Desktop Live CD from Here: Download ISO Here. Burn the ISO to CD and boot.
After booting into the CD X won’t start. Hit Enter to say OK to the error messages and get back to the black screen. You may need to switch to ALT-F4. Do the following, one at a time, to get X working:
wget http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/files/ati
sudo chmod +x ati
./ati
You’ll see X start and you are now running the Live CD in your native resolution!
Double click the Install icon and configure your install how you like it.
After your system finishes installing it will prompt you before rebooting, ensure you have a network cable connected, and when it boots into the new system you’ll see an error about X. Use your arrows to select NO, hit ENTER and then OK to get to the black login screen. You’ll see an error regarding BCM43xx appearing, ignore it and type as if it wasn’t there. The command line can’t “read” that error so don’t try to backspace over it, etc. Login using your username and password.
Download the script
wget http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/files/dellinstall
Make it executable and run it:
sudo chmod +x dellinstall
./dellinstall
Sit back and relax for a moment until you hear your system BEEP at reboots.
After the system reboots X still won’t start, login to the black login screen (X still errors out), go into the install (cd install) directory and again type the same script command:
./dellinstall
When it is finished the system will BEEP, reboot, and you can now use it!
Your system will reboot automatically and after it comes up you’ll have X. To login to Beryl, before you login select the GNOME with XGL session from the Options>Sessions menu in the bottom left corner.

If not ignore this post :)

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jammadave on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:57 am

Nick - do either of those "wget" operations require a network connection?

If so, then it won't work. Because it can't install, I can't establish a network connection or anything either.
jammadave
Level 1
Level 1

Postby codesplice on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:14 am

jammadave - yes, wget requires a network (more specifically, internet) connection.

Any chance of disabling the internal wifi card in BIOS and connecting directly to a wire via an ethernet cable? That might at least get you far enough to install and configure things properly.

Good luck!
-John
-John,
Mint user, Saab tuner, geek extraordinaire.
I do it for the lulz, just laugh til I cry...
codesplice
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:16 am

Hi

I assume they do???, can you not get non-wireless network working?

The link:http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/files/ati

contains the script:
#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
sudo aticonfig --initial
sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv
startx

Would anybody like to explain how to load script without network please?

Can they be "loaded" off CD??

(am on Debian box at moment)

Nick

Ps
Just seen codesplice come up with possible answer
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jammadave on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:18 am

nick wrote:Hi

Because of the wireless error, I can't even finish an install or live CD boot whatsoever, it completely stops dead at that error, which doesn't make sense (who gives a crap if the wifi doesn't work? boot me to the desktop!)
jammadave
Level 1
Level 1

Postby codesplice on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:25 am

nick wrote:Hi

The link:http://www.mylittleubuntuguide.com/files/ati

contains the script:
#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
sudo aticonfig --initial
sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv
startx

Would anybody like to explain how to load script without network please?

Can they be "loaded" off CD??

(am on Debian box at moment)

Nick

Ps
Just seen codesplice come up with possible answer

Loading the scripts off the CD gets tricky since we're trying to get into a liveCD environment. Try perhaps extracting the LiveCD image to a CD-R, but before finalizing the write, add the two scripts to the root directory of the disc. They won't have any impact on the installation, but will be accessible once you get to a terminal.

Code: Select all
mkdir /media/cdrom
mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrom
cd /media/cdrom

should be sufficient to get you into that directory once you're in the terminal. Be sure to replace /dev/hdc with your CD-ROM device.

In order to make the scripts executable, you'll have to copy them to the RAM disk:

cp script-name /

should work to get the script into the root directory of the RAM disk. You can then just cd to /, chmod +x the scripts, and proceed with the instructions.

Good luck!
-John

EDIT: @jammadave: see if you can disable the wireless adapter in BIOS. That will at least eliminate one point of failure.
-John,
Mint user, Saab tuner, geek extraordinaire.
I do it for the lulz, just laugh til I cry...
codesplice
Level 1
Level 1

Possible alternative solution: temporarily wifi working

Postby ypsilon on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:29 pm

I don't have a dell laptop, but I do have a bcm43 based wifi card. Before I switched to Mint, I used to try a lot of distro's. Most distro's weren't able to have wifi working out-of-the-box. Sometimes I didn't even get into a graphical environment and was left with the bcm43xx missing microcode error a the command line. For some reason (don't know why) this recurring error prevents X from starting.

I have found a workaround that helps me around this problem. The "microcode error" indicates missing firmware. This you can extract using the package bcm43xx-fwcutter. Unfortunately this is never included in a live-cd, so he we get to the tricky part: you need once a working internet connection (some other computer, your work or even booting into ... no we don't need that).
Download the package from http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/utils ... x-fwcutter
I never had problems with the dependencies mentioned here.
You also need a driver file to extract firmware from. This one always works for me: wl_apsta.o (for example from http://svit.epfl.ch/stuff/wl_apsta.o )
Save both files to a usb stick (or disk ...).

Boot into you live-cd and on the command line you install this package.
Go to the location of the two files and type (just type through if the microcode error occurs, it doesn't influence your input):
dpkg -i bcm43xx-fwcutter_006-1_i386.deb

(can't exactly remember whether or not to include the entire filename or only the generic package name, so if this doesn't work remove _006-1_i386.deb )
After installing this package, you will have to extract firmware to /lib/firmware using

bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta.o

It's my experience you don't have to reboot to make this work (that would make this solution useless). Configure your wireless by hand using command line (commands iwconfig and dhclient work for me).
In my situation I can start X (by just typing X), but for you this would be the starting point to follow the above post to fix your video.
Hope this helps for you
ypsilon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jammadave on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:36 pm

@ ypsilon: Thanks for a very detailed workaround, which I am sad to admit makes me stare at the screen going "uhm, huh?"....

That said, I will at least DL fwcutter and that driver here at work, and put it on my flash drive. (which is standard formatted in FAT32 i think.)

I guess my question is, how will Mint be able to find it, if essentially the computer is still not working/complete at the time I'd be running these commands? (i.e. how would i, as you state, "go to the location of these files"?)
jammadave
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:06 pm

If you have the USB flash drive connected at boot I believe it will get automounted in the live CD
The bcm43xxx is a bit odd as it has "firmware" that is loaded at boot time. It should be enough to blacklist the module at boot - come to think of it this could be something for coming versions (I think we have code lock for Celena)
You can't blacklist a module in a live CD.....
But wasn't the problem that booting was impossible?
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Installation & Boot