Install inside windows?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
igotpins

Install inside windows?

Post by igotpins »

I have never used Linux before and I am trying to use the "install inside windows" option. It installs and asks to reboot, but when I do it goes straight to Windows. According to the information on the download, it should give me the option to dual-boot. Does anyone know what might cause this? Also, is there any real advantage to installing to a partition as opposed to inside windows (besides putting the pc into hibernate)?

**I later tried this and it let me choose between Windows 7 and Linux Mint. However, when selecting Linux it takes me to a screen that says " try: (hd0,0): Ext2: "
I have no options at all and have to CTRL ALT DEL to restart.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: Install inside windows?

Post by revdjenk »

igotpins,

Welcome to Mint!

First, I would say that something has happened to the installation (duh) which has failed either to bad cd burn? (although you say it goes completely through the process to ask for reboot). I saw a hint on an Ubuntu site that says to run chkdsk /f on your harddrive. If that doesn't fix it, you might want to retry the installation... but before you do, read the next point...
Second, personally I would rather have Linux on its own partition. When you install Linux under Windows, then you have to depend on Windows security to have Linux available. In other words, if Windows gets a virus and crashes or runs slow, your ability to run to Linux is killed or hampered as well.

God Bless
Doug

Return to “Installation & Boot”