[SOLVED] Upgrading from Mint7 KDE to Mint9 Gnome

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cableguy

[SOLVED] Upgrading from Mint7 KDE to Mint9 Gnome

Post by cableguy »

I have a separate /home partition which I thought would make my transition easier until I realized that I now like the Gnome desktop. My question is what problems would arise should I upgrade to Mint9 from Mint7 KDE using my existing /home?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Upgrading from Mint7 KDE to Mint9 Gnome

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

Firstly I am sure that you realise that you cannot upgrade from Mint 7 to 9. That having been said I would back up your home partition including with all hidden files. Having done that then do a fresh install of Mint 9 formatting both your system partition and home partition. You can then try to restore your home partition and see if you have any problems.
cableguy

Re: Upgrading from Mint7 KDE to Mint9 Gnome

Post by cableguy »

I am sorry I was not more clear. I plan on doing a clean install of Mint9 using my existing /home partition. Your reply made me think a little bit more about it. The /home contains personal files (music, video, docs ect.) so that should not be a concern. I was more worried about other (hidden) files that my be in conflict moving from KDE to Gnome. Could I simply delete .kde? Is there anything else in /home to worry about?
cableguy

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrading from Mint7 KDE to Mint9 Gnome

Post by cableguy »

I just went ahead and did it! Everything worked out as far as gnome installing ok. I followed the direction of other posts as far as how to do a fresh install using existing /home partition. Now my only problem is Mint does not see my video card.

Return to “Installation & Boot”