How To Install On External? [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How To Install On External? [SOLVED]

Postby redwine06 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:12 am

Hi guys. Im new in this forum..register because i cannot find a solution of my problem here and Google. If this topic exist, i am sorry, it's hard to understand. This is my 1st post and im not good in English. Sorry again.

So, the problem is.. :wink:

How to install Linux Mint to external usb hard disk? im using a laptop..yes motherboard can support boot from usb. i wanna have completely Windows XP in my external and install Linux Mint on my external usb. Installation doin good and it is going fine if the usb is attach to the laptop..but if i unplug the usb, grub cannot boot and it say error 21..if im not mistaken. That is my problem.

Hope there is somebody can guide me step-by-step to install Linux Mint on external usb hard disk perfectly. A simple way. Thanks.

p/s: if there is a solution for this thread, pls inform me. :D
Last edited by redwine06 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redwine06
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

How To Installl On External? [SOLVED]

Postby redwine06 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:03 pm

finally i figure out myself, it is very easy...

install the linux mint on the external, when it comes to finalize, choose advance..and change the grub install from (hd0) to (hd1). Then finish the installation. Restart.

Boot from the external..grub say error because it didn't find the right kernel to boot. Then enter 'e'..change to (hd0,0)..'enter' then 'b'. =)

when the linux mint is loaded..enter this in the terminal.

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

scroll to the bottom and change it. Look like this :
title Linux Mint (XFCE), kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
root (hd0,0) <--- this have to change

voila! :D [/code][/quote]

p/s: price i pay is losing my valuable data due to mistake of partitioning.
redwine06
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How To Install On External? [SOLVED]

Postby gismondo on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:25 am

Hi !
i am on a hp pavilion dv4000 and i have an external hard disk western digital 160GB
i installed linux mint 4.0 and i had your same problem: error 21 when the hard disk is not connected...
my question is : if i change hd0 in hd1 in boot loader options when i install mint, grub will be installed on the external har disk right???
because i'm not sure this will work for me because my laptop can't boot from USB
can anyone help me?? :wink:
gismondo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot