Video Problem Upgrading Mint8 > Mint9

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
StewB
Level 1
Level 1

Video Problem Upgrading Mint8 > Mint9

Post by StewB »

I have a problem upgrading from Mint8 to Mint9. I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter and rebooted hoping to find all home and program settings. When I log into the GUI I have a task bar minus the far-left Mint Menu, and right network and sound volume icons and no calendar. They are just blank spaces, right or left-clicking in these areas is like clicking on a blank area of the bar.

This might be a video or compiz problem but I cannot improve the display with settings from right-click desktop/appearance prefs.

The display may have been working before restoring my Mint8 settings through MintBackup/Restore. I'm about ready to try a reinstall unless someone can point me to a solution.

Stew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Video Problem Upgrading Mint8 > Mint9

Post by vincent »

Open up your Home folder, press CTRL + H (shows all hidden folders and files in Nautilus), and delete the ".gnome", ".gnome2", ".gnome2_private", ".gconf", and ".gconfd" folders. Restart X (i.e. log out and log back in), and the problem should be fixed. Note that in the process, you'll lose all custom backgrounds, themes, icons, panels, etc. you have, so make sure you save them somewhere safe if you want to use them again.
StewB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StewB »

vincent wrote:Open up your Home folder and delete the ".gnome", ".gnome2", ".gnome2_private", ".gconf", and ".gconfd" folders. Restart X (i.e. log out and log back in), and the problem should be fixed. Note that in the process, you'll lose all custom backgrounds, themes, icons, panels, etc. you have, so make sure you save them somewhere safe if you want to use them again.
Thanks Vincent, this gets me back to where I can find my way. I'm not sure why this happened but it was time to reconfigure anuway.
Stew
vincent

Post by vincent »

This happens because GConf settings often break from release to release, especially if Gnome happens to go through a lot of changes. This particular problem was very commonplace amongst users updating from Mint 8 to Mint 9...personally, I'm surprised Clem didn't mention it in his tutorial.

Return to “Installation & Boot”