Best Linux Mint 9 for Asus EEE 1000 HE

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
force317

Best Linux Mint 9 for Asus EEE 1000 HE

Post by force317 »

I have an Asus EEE 1000 HE on which I installed Kubuntu Netbook Remix.

Since there is still no 'Linux Mint 9 Netbook Remix', what is the Linux Mint 9 distro best suitable for installation on an Asus EEE 1000 HE ?

What 'adjustments' will be necessary to run it on a netbook ?

I guess the best thing is to wait until they release 'netbook edition' ?

I have 2 laptops, one running Linux Mint 9 64bit Gnome and one running Linux Mint 9 64bit KDE4. Would be nice if I could standardise all my laptops/netbooks around the same basic distro, even if they are running different desktops.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Best Linux Mint 9 for Asus EEE 1000 HE

Post by JasonLG »

force317 wrote:I have an Asus EEE 1000 HE on which I installed Kubuntu Netbook Remix.

Since there is still no 'Linux Mint 9 Netbook Remix', what is the Linux Mint 9 distro best suitable for installation on an Asus EEE 1000 HE ?

What 'adjustments' will be necessary to run it on a netbook ?

I guess the best thing is to wait until they release 'netbook edition' ?

I have 2 laptops, one running Linux Mint 9 64bit Gnome and one running Linux Mint 9 64bit KDE4. Would be nice if I could standardise all my laptops/netbooks around the same basic distro, even if they are running different desktops.
The Gnome version (32 or 64 bit) should run just fine on it I would think. Or you could try the LXDE version, it's a little lighter on the resources. I don't think there is a plan to do a netbook remix of Mint.
force317

Post by force317 »

Just installed Linux Mint 9 32 bit on my netbook. No problems so far.

On my 2 laptops I run Linux Mint 9 64bit on one and Linux Mint 9 KDE 64bit on the other.

After more than two years using mainly Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Mint, for the first time, ALL my laptops are running Mint.
bolle

Post by bolle »

im using lxde version of mint 9 now, its speedy, but i miss mint menu and gnome tools ^^
downloading mainv ersion now !
force317

Post by force317 »

Tried Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32bit on the netbook and it works without problems. But you must install the Ubuntu Dropbox, not the one Mint offers to install, that one doesn't work ! That's the only problem I encountered. For the rest, choosing Mint or Ubuntu, well ... let's say that with every new distro Mint is catching up on Ubuntu ! By now, it's becoming VERY close ! Ubuntu Gnome and Linux Mint 9 are practically equals, and the Mint KDE version is better than Kubuntu !

Lxde : if your hardware can sustain it, don't use the lightweights, they are better for older hardware. There are alway's compromises and sacrifices with these I think.

Anyway, Ubuntu and automatically Linux Mint 9 Gnome get the most attention I think. The others desktop versions are gaining importance. So for the next year it will get more difficult for Linux users to choose between the different desktops. If Gnome 3 is a success, it will help maintain Gnomes position, if it fails, then attention might switch to KDE as the number 1 desktop for the more recent hardware, and LXDE/XFCE for the older hardware ?

For the moment I'm back to using Ubuntu Netbook Edition on the netbook, and Ubuntu 10.04 64bit on my 2 laptops, but in fact I must conclude that installing Linux Mint 9 32bit on the netbook and Linux Mint 9 64bit on my 2 latops is a choice that is as good !

For the moment I still prefer Gnome since many of the applications I like to use are not strictly KDE based : Firefox, Opera, Chromium, Pidgin, OpenOffice, Gthumb, Cherrytree, Skype, ... .
jesica

Post by jesica »

I have been using Linux mint for 2 years now on my eeepc, just order a new eeepc for my girlfirend, I tried all of them on my eeepc and love GNOME the best, I have not have any problems with the speed on the eeepc yet, LXDE is nice and fast, I have tried it, but GNOME is alos fast and more user friendly for me
TheMonster0

Post by TheMonster0 »

I installed the LXDE edition on to a 8g flash drive. I have had no trouble running it on my ASUS EeePC Surf 2g. It supported all the hardware right out of the box. Although I am KDE user on my desktop, I think KDE might use too much resources. I am perfectly happy to trade off the fancy crap for something speedier and more responsive.

Return to “Installation & Boot”