delete other oses

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snodgrss1984

delete other oses

Post by snodgrss1984 »

i installed 2 linux mints on my windows pc with install alongside.... how would i safely delete them when 10 comes out
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: delete other oses

Post by dawgdoc »

Back up all data you do not want to risk loosing. Do not forget to also back up firefox and thunderbird profiles so you do not loose bookmarks, settings, accounts, etc. Then if doing a fresh install simply use the live CD to delete the partitions of the 2 versions/editions of Mint and install the new and improved Mint into the free space.

Clem has posted this tutorial on the Community site regarding upgrading.
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

thank you and how do i know what is not windows
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

snodgrss1984 wrote:thank you and how do i know what is not windows
when you have booted to the liveCD, open GParted. It will show you a GUI with all of your partitions indicated. WinXP partitions are labeled as NTFS, Vista and Win7 are HPFS/NTFS (I believe) or course you could have Win95/98 and have FAT file systems.

I have included a screenshot of GParted of this system. I have WinXP on /dev/sda1 it is highlighted. The linux partitions are formatted as ext3 (default for Mint 7) or ext4 (default for Mint 8 & 9) I would leave the swap partition as you will need one for Mint 10.

On my system I have 3 other NTFS partitions, this is so I can access my data from Linux or WinXP. These are only for data they do not contain an OS or applications.
Screenshot- GParted.png
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

thank you

Return to “Installation & Boot”