W7 on SATA RAID 5, LM 9 on IDE, No grub at boot.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wozblod

W7 on SATA RAID 5, LM 9 on IDE, No grub at boot.

Post by Wozblod »

Hi,
I am getting back to Linux Mint after a long hiatus and I now have a new machine. On it I run a sata hardware raid 5 on 2x1TB drives with windows 7. I wanted to give LM another try so I wiped an old 250GB IDE drive that works fine. After installing LM 9 on the IDE drive, I reboot and grub does not appear. It goes straight to W7 loading screen. When I manually select what drive to boot from and I select the IDE, it goes to the loading DMCI data and then..... nothing. just a single line with the DMCI data thing and then a blinking cursor.

I have no intention or desire of partitioning the raid 5 at all.

I have no clue what to do or go to from here and I already tried searching these forums and google.

Any help or suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Wozblod

Re: W7 on SATA RAID 5, LM 9 on IDE, No grub at boot.

Post by Wozblod »

OK, I decided to continue screwing with it.

I reinstalled LM9 over the previous installation and the difference is that I changed the location of the bootloader. The only problem about the bootloader is that I have no clue of where it should to be. When I went to specify the drive it is to be installed to and it showed my hardware RAID 5 as two distinct drives (which in the bluntest of terms it is, but that isnt the point). I chose one drive (that makes up the RAID) over the other (because I guess BIOS has the raid discs higher on the boot order than the other 250GB IDE drive that I am actually installing LM 9 to).

I made a big boo boo. My MBR got trashed and luckily I managed to burn off a recovery disc for my W7 installation before I decided to go and mess around. But For whatever reason I or when I was installing/screwing around in LM, the drive lettering for W7 was off. My C drive turned into E and that wasnt helping in getting my W7 to boot. But this isnt about that. My LM9 was without any internet (ndiswrapper and the driver for my usb wireless receiver dont play nice) so had to figure all of this on my own.

I eventually ended up wiping the 250GB that had LM 9 on it and fixed the lettering and fixed the MBR so now I am back to square one.

So I ask you guys and gals, what am I doing wrong here? Where should I put the bootloader? Should I just specify the 250GB as first on boot list priority and put the bootloader there?

I really hope that I can get some responses.

TIA
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: W7 on SATA RAID 5, LM 9 on IDE, No grub at boot.

Post by Pierre »

This is usually caused by the sata disk controller not recognizing the pata drive.

By far the most cost effective way to install an IDE drive using one of the SATA connectors on your motherboard is to purchase an IDE to SATA converter. This is a small device that connects into the back of your IDE drive and allows you to plug a SATA cable into the other side of the converter.

otherwise, if your mobo has both connectors, you should be able to run each type of drive.
you may have to set the pata as master & the sata as the slave.

the other combo, is to set the pata as a slave to a cd_drive, which should be also a pata drive.
- pata meaning a ide cabled drive.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Installation & Boot”