Booting Black Screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PoinD3xter

Booting Black Screen

Post by PoinD3xter »

HI, im a complete noob, so i dont really understand coding in Linux/Unix.

I recently installed Isadora KDE on my laptop (Compaq 515 - Athlon X2 2.4Ghz, 3gb ram, 160Gb hdd) on a 20Gb Partition in NTFS next to a Windows 7 64bit partition.
I installed it from the LiveDVD, and it installed fine. However, when i go to boot, straight after the GRUB screen it goes to a black screen (ie, as if the screen has gone to sleep mode with the backlight still on) with no mouse, no keyboard response (not even caps), and no sound.
I have tried adding 'nomodeset' to the Kernel after the 'quietsplash' command, but its no help.

To complicate things, i have managed to boot ONCE. it was just after a Windows disk check, then it restarted and automatically booted Mint ok.
this suggests maybe an issue with the Partitions, but its hard to say.

Any help please???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PoinD3xter

Re: Booting Black Screen

Post by PoinD3xter »

Hate to bump my own post, but i'v had some progress.

I tried turning off the PC Express card slot in the BIOS and it seemed to boot fine.

I then tried to boot Windows 7, which worked ok. Shut that down and now Mint 9 wont boot again :?
Go figure.

Just trying to reinstall using an ext4 partition.

Return to “Installation & Boot”