SOLVED:How to Triple boot? Mint plus another linux plus XP?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
taxpayer

SOLVED:How to Triple boot? Mint plus another linux plus XP?

Post by taxpayer »

I had XP plus two versions of Mepis (8.0 and 8.5), and used Grub to choose among them. Decided to install Mint 9 (DVD version) in place of Mepis 8.0. Now my initial screen (which I presume is from Grub2) offers me Mint 9 or XP, but not Mepis 8.5.

I see there is a grub.cfg file which appears to have menu entries but warns "DO NOT EDIT!" I find a lot of discussion about grub2 at various places around the web, but nothing much that I understand. (Maybe they presume more knowledge of grub1 than I have; it was always a simple matter to edit the menu and I never needed to learn anything else.)

So, I hope someone who is booting with Mint 9, plus some other linux and XP, will be kind enough to explain how it is done.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: How to Triple boot? Mint plus another linux plus XP?

Post by dawgdoc »

The first thing to try from within Mint is to open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
then reboot and see if that fixes the issue.

The File Structure section of the Ubuntu Grub2 Tutorial identifies the 30_os-prober file as responsible for loading other Linux OSes into the boot menu.
30_os-prober This file uses os-prober, which searches for Linux and other operating systems. Results are placed in grub.cfg based on the scripts in this file. The file is divided into 4 sections, representing the types of operating systems handled by the scripts: Windows, Linux, OSX, and Hurd. Variables in this file determine the format of the displayed names in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and on the GRUB 2 menu. Users familiar with basic scripting can alter these variables to change the format of the displayed menu entries. Alternatively, the user can insert an entry into /etc/default/grub which disables this script. (See below)
If the sudo update-grub command did not fix the entry, then run

sudo chmod +x 30_os-prober
sudo update-grub
in that order to insure that 30_os-prober is executable and will be used by update-grub. Then reboot.

If this has not cleared up the issue then check the Tutorial section on Custom Menu Entries
taxpayer

Re: SOLVED:How to Triple boot? Mint plus another linux plus

Post by taxpayer »

The first thing to try from within Mint is to open a terminal and enter

sudo update-grub

then reboot and see if that fixes the issue.
That was the solution. Many thanks, dawgdoc.

Return to “Installation & Boot”