Can't install linux mint or any other distro

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxuser24

Can't install linux mint or any other distro

Post by linuxuser24 »

hello every body ,my desktop pc cant install linux mint or any other distro linux i dont know why??it's just hangs or freeze in alot of text ! i try all linux but nothing works :( and i try all linux on my laptop and they all worked so this mean there is something wrong with my pc please help me !!

thank and sorry for my bad english

my desktop is

ASUS P5G41T-M LX
2 GB RAM
INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.93 GHZ
256 INTEL X4500 GMA
320 HARD DISK SATA
DVD-CD ROM SATA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can't install linux mint or any other distro

Post by Midnighter »

No need to apologise, your English seems fine to me. :)

What other distros have you tried loading or installing? What sort of error messages, or text, does it seem to freeze at?

Thank you for your hardware specs, they will be of help, but if you could provide some specific error messages, it would greatly assist us to assist you. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

If you are certain that you have a good CD/DVD ( that is, you checked the md5sum of the iso you downloaded, you burned the iso image to disk at a slow speed, you verified the disk integrity after burning) Then give this a try on your next boot attempt:

If you see the green screen with the various boot options (mint, mint in compatibility mode, memtest, etc) press either <tab> or <e> it will vary with systems. Towards the bottom of the screen you will see a line of text, it may actually be wrapped onto a second line. Add nomodeset at the end of that line, follow the instructions to continue booting. It will probably say press <enter> If not enter the <Ctrl>+x If you are presented with a command prompt, type startx and then hit <enter>

If you never see the screen I described above, but instead you see a black/blank screen before the computer gets to the screen with all of the text, then hit any key and you should see the screen described above. Do as outlined above.

If this works you can allow it to boot to the liveCD to see how Mint works on the computer. If you install you will probably have to go through the same procedure on the next boot. You can then make the changes permanent by following the instructions in this post. This is a fix for problems with Kernel Modesetting, KMS.

Some ATI graphics chips require a different entry for a boot parameter instead of nomodeset. It is stated in the KMS link above.
EDIT: (9.21.10) A Radeon solution not in the above link is to use radeon.modeset=0

Some Intel integrated graphics chips require the boot parameter to be different again, see here.
Last edited by dawgdoc on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
linuxuser24

Post by linuxuser24 »

Sorry For late reply but i used ubuntu and pclinux os and xpud and linux mint all with bad luck even Cd DVD or USB :(

i dont know the problem all i can see that it's freeze with alot of text and the last was something USB ....and tried to remove all USB still bad luck :(

i think there is something wrong with the bios

any one ? thanks
linuxuser24

Post by linuxuser24 »

[quote="Midnighter"]No need to apologise, your English seems fine to me. :)

What other distros have you tried loading or installing? What sort of error messages, or text, does it seem to freeze at?

Thank you for your hardware specs, they will be of help, but if you could provide some specific error messages, it would greatly assist us to assist you. :)[/qut

it's black screen with alot of text and the last line is [7.119581] sd 4.0.0.0 :[sdb] Attact SCSI Removable disk

just freezing BTW i am install it by USb live

thank you for reply and respect :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”