Can't boot up Mint 9, only XP as option

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
weaston

Can't boot up Mint 9, only XP as option

Post by weaston »

Hi Guys,

I had Mint 9 and Ubuntu installed on seperate partitions. I then installed XP onto the Ubuntu partition. (My aim was to keep Mint 9 and XP as dual boot option.) The problem I have now is that I am not getting the option to boot off the Mint 9 partition. When I start up my machine it boots up with XP only.

Is there any way I can boot up Mint 9 or do I have to re-install Mint 9 again?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Can't boot up Mint 9, only XP as option

Post by markcynt »

You need to mount your Mint root partition and install GRUB2 to the MBR

If you know which partition is the Mint root partition start at step 4

1) Boot to the LiveCD Desktop (Ubuntu 9.10, Mint 8 or later).

2) Open a terminal by selecting Applications, Accessories, Terminal from the menu bar.

3) Determine the partition with the Ubuntu/Mint installation. The fdisk option "-l" is a lowercase "L".

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
If the user isn't sure of the partition, look for one of the appropriate size or formatting.

Running sudo blkid may provide more information to help locate the proper partition, especially if the partitions are labeled. The device/drive is designated by sdX, with X being the device designation. sda is the first device, sdb is the second, etc. For most users the MBR will be installed to sda, the first drive on their system. The partition is designated by the Y. The first partition is 1, the second is 2. Note the devices and partitions are counted differently.

4) Mount the partition containing the Ubuntu/Mint installation.

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
Substitute Mints' root partition for /dev/sdXY

5) Run the grub-install command as described below. This will reinstall the GRUB 2 files on the mounted partition to the proper location and to the MBR of the designated device.

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sdX
Example: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

6) Reboot

7) Refresh the GRUB 2 menu with

sudo update-grub

Any questions feel free to ask.
sangre

Re: Can't boot up Mint 9, only XP as option

Post by sangre »

thanks will try this next time I had a few errors on my windows and of course ran repair and it wiped out my grub this will help me out alot

Return to “Installation & Boot”