Upgrading Mint 8 to 9 on dual boot PC

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abend954

Upgrading Mint 8 to 9 on dual boot PC

Post by abend954 »

I currently have a dual boot PC running Windows 7 and Mint 8. I want to upgrade to Mint 9 but I'm a little nervous about doing so. What steps do I need to take to overwrite the Mint 8 install without messing up the Windows 7 partition or the boot loader? WRT to Mint 8, there is no data stored on that partition so I don't care about blowing it away.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Upgrading Mint 8 to 9 on dual boot PC

Post by Aging Technogeek »

All that is required is to boot the live CD/DVD, and, when you reach the partitioning section, choose manual partitioning (the last selection).

A partition table will be displayed. Your Mint 8 installation will be the one formatted to ext3 or ext4. Click on this partition and select "EDIT" at the bottom of the table. A window will open labeled "Edit Partition" with several choices for you to make.

Do this:

1. Partition Size - leave as is.
2. "Do not use this partition" - Click on this and choose ext4.
3 Click "Format Partition".
4. Set partition as / (root)

Click forward and Mint 9 will replace Mint 8 in the same space and write a new Grub into the mbr that will pick up your Windows partition and set your dual boot just like you had in Mint 8.
Melagis

Post by Melagis »

One more question about how to upgrade:
I have trial boot system:
1. Windows7
2. Linux Mint 8
3. Ultimate Linux
Grub installed via Ultimate Linux. I understand about it is little bit risky, but intend to make copies of important personal files, and going to upgrade via repositories (online, via internet). How to and does this upgrade do not change GRUB (used GRUB 2.0) boot records? Also it is possible upgrade via boot CD, I suppose it must be one better way, but I suppose it can be little bit risky to change my GRUB, and I'm not so familiar yet with command line to restore it :( (Of course, I can repeat step-by-step instructions at least, once someway restored GRUB via live CD in another my computer in same situation, but not sure can do this again) ;) If it matters, later I can load GRUB boot configuration. Is it option via upgrade/clean install to leave GRUB as is? Thank You.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Upgrading Mint from repositories is not the recommended route. It can work, but it may also cause dependency problems if you do not get everything you need.

It does have the advantage of not requiring a reinstallation of Grub. At most, running "sudo update-grub" in terminal in the OS that wrote the Grub you are using should be enough.

The preferred upgrade method is a fresh installation over top of the current one. You can install the mint backup tool from Software Manager and use this to make backups of the files you do not want to lose, and your installed software.

This will not be prone to dependency problems like an on-line upgrade and Grub will be rewritten by the installer and all OS will be found and included in the boot menu.

Return to “Installation & Boot”