Sharing /home folder with windows solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

I'm new to Link. I don't know about moving the home folder to Windows. But, when I installed Mint it asked me if I wanted to import files from My Documents.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's no good solution - the idea is Ok, but...
I share my FF and Thunderbird profiles between all OS installed on this computer - it's on a small ntfs partition which basically contains that and the Windows swap file. I have daily backups.
Why not the entire home - well ntfs is no linux filesystem and its journaling capacity is not used in linux (I compensate for that with daily backups)
Further - you simply can't use ntfs in your home partition - has to be a linux one, ext or reiser or....
You can do like this
create a 5 GB (5 is enough) for MInt's root
create a 15 GB home partiton and a 20 GB ntfs (or if you like a really small home 2 GB or something - but you must be aware that lots is stored there - saves in games take up a lot of space)
When you have installed mount the ntfs partition in the home folder in a folder you call something accurate like "common" (not share as that's something in networking)
To mount you create a line in fstab similar to the others in there like this:

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb1 /home/common     ntfs-3g    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,gid=46 0       1
Note: you have to create the folder "common" first and you have to use sudo to change fstab
Of course you exchange sdb1 with whatever you have.
It's best to backup fstab first

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab-bak
And you can't use mintDisk to achieve this
Husse

Post by Husse »

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

You could also just create symbolic links pointing to your Windows folders. For stuff like music and video files that are mainly read this works well. For stuff you will be editing frequently it's probably better to keep copies in each OS's native file system.

Return to “Installation & Boot”