Installed Grub2 by error on /dev/sda1. Can't boot [solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobHK

Installed Grub2 by error on /dev/sda1. Can't boot [solved]

Post by RobHK »

Help!

I accidentally installed Grub2 to the first partition (sda1) which is my Windows XP partition. I realised my error and reinstalled to /dev/sda, but now when I try to boot Windows from the "proper" Grub2 boot menu on the MBR, it runs the Grub2 boot menu installed on the Windows partition. I can't get into Windows.

How can I remove the unwanted Grub2 from the Windows partition and get a normal Windows boot back?

TIA for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Installed Grub2 by error on /dev/sda1. Can't boot Window

Post by DataMan »

In all likelihood you have destroyed your Windows partition. You will need to re-install Windows and start over.

My recommendation after you have Windows stabilized:

1. Using the Windows utility, resize down the Windows partition.
2. Using GParted Live (can be accessed through your Linux LiveCd), Setup your partitions for Linux beforehand. At a minimum, this will require a small swap (<2G) and an ext3 or ext4 partition.
3. When it comes time to install your Linux and you come to the partition section of the installation (step #4 i believe), select the manual setup.
4. In the manual setup, select the partition that you want to install your ops on, Select the "Edit" partition.
5. Identify the filesystem as either ext3 or ext4 (preferred). Select the "/" and make sure you check the format partition checkbox.
6. Save changes and continue with the installation.

The above will provide you with a higher level of control over what is specifically happening with respect to your partitions and the installation of your Mint Linux operating system.

Post back with any additional questions / concerns and someone should be around to provide assistance.

-DataMan
RobHK

Post by RobHK »

Thanks Dataman. No, I haven't destroyed my Windows partition; I can access it from the Linux setups. But I can't boot Windows, because of the Grub installed on its partition..

As for installation, I do it pretty much as you describe, but the problem didn't arise during installation. I have two Linux setups, one Main and one FluxBox, so hence, two Grub menus. I followed the instructions that come with SuperGrub 2 to run sudo grub-install /dev/sda to change (= switch, not modify) the Grub in the MBR. I've done it successfully before, but this time unfortunately I made the mistake of entering "sda1" for "sda". So I have installed a Grub menu in the Windows partition, with the outcome that that this comes up when I try to boot Windows.
RobHK

Post by RobHK »

I solved it.

Though I caused the problem in Linux, it was a Windows issue with a Windows solution. I went into the Recovery console from the XP installation disc and entered the command "fixboot c:", which restored the Windows boot.

Return to “Installation & Boot”