Install Hangs at Prepare Partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zeusoid

Install Hangs at Prepare Partition

Post by zeusoid »

First...Complete newbie to Linux. Trying to install Mint 9 on a old Win2000 computer. P4 1.6ghz 512MB The LiveCD works great. Even able to use a old PCI wireless card. When trying to install, the installation hangs at prepare the partition. I did much searching here and on google and found "solutions". Do not really understand them. Is there a basic/step by step/easy to follow guide somewhere that might help me? Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Install Hangs at Prepare Partition

Post by oobetimer »

zeusoid wrote:First...Complete newbie to Linux. Trying to install Mint 9 on a old Win2000 computer. P4 1.6ghz 512MB The LiveCD works great. Even able to use a old PCI wireless card. When trying to install, the installation hangs at prepare the partition. I did much searching here and on google and found "solutions". Do not really understand them. Is there a basic/step by step/easy to follow guide somewhere that might help me? Any help would be appreciated.
If a computer is old, ext3 filesystem works better than ext4. Choose advanced choice (experienced user) and make the partitions. My suggestion:

/ root partition --> primary ext3 --> 10 GB

swap partition --> 1 GB

/home partition --> logical ext3 --> big enough = 10 GB +
zeusoid

Post by zeusoid »

I do not get far enough along in the install to get to the advance options. After I choose keyboard and click forward the next window says prepare partition but everything is grayed out and stays that way. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

zeusoid wrote:I do not get far enough along in the install to get to the advance options. After I choose keyboard and click forward the next window says prepare partition but everything is grayed out and stays that way. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.
"
sudo dmraid -r -E /dev/sda

"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1506552

http://translate.google.fi/translate?js ... 3msg274761
zeusoid

Post by zeusoid »

Thanks for the link. That looks just like my problem. Do you think this would affect my win2000 install? I would like to keep it if possible.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

zeusoid wrote:Thanks for the link. That looks just like my problem. Do you think this would affect my win2000 install? I would like to keep it if possible.
No influence to win2000, I think. It only enables partitioner to see the partitions, what is a good thing .. :D
zeusoid

Post by zeusoid »

Thank you. That worked. I appreciate your help. Finally figured out the advanced install. Only question is I did not see a "/root" to install as primary ext3 per your suggestion only a" /" so I did that. Will that be a problem? I can always do over.
boriquajake

Post by boriquajake »

I am having the same problem on a little Dell Mini 9. I get to the select keyboard page (I guess the next step would have to do with the hard drive partition?) and it just hangs there. I entered

Code: Select all

and I was told that there were no raid drives or something. I think this computer has a little solid state drive that has never been part of anything else. I don't plan on dual booting or anything, I just want to install linux. :D
nyktovus

Post by nyktovus »

when i try to install.. the "allocate drive section comes up.. and has nothing in it..

when i try that dmraid command.. heres the output

Do you really want to erase "ddf1" ondisk metadata on /dev/sda ? [y/n] :y
ERROR: ddf1: seeking device "/dev/sda" to 81919999737856
ERROR: writing metadata to /dev/sda, offset 159999999488 sectors, size 0 bytes returned 0
ERROR: erasing ondisk metadata on /dev/sda

... what gives? i already have XP on the first partition.. i've dual booted tons of machines like this.

Return to “Installation & Boot”