[SOLVED]:Unable to install with HD-4730 card

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reaZon

[SOLVED]:Unable to install with HD-4730 card

Post by reaZon »

hi all.
i can't install any linux now on my computer with an HD-4730 video card in it.

i've tried linux mint 9( both gnome and KDE desktops ) and fedora 13 too,with the same problem.
i've isolated it to my video card because when i disabled it and enabled my built-in hd-3000
series card everything went fine.and editing bios settings then swapping screen cables at the back of the case isn't very convenient for every linux boot.
the problem is,after i start the linux mint installation (either normal or compatibility mode),the screen goes black for seconds and then it's signal is cut completely (like in stand-by mode) with a flashing power led.and then some hard disk access (also from the led indicator on the case,it seems that leds are the way i communicate with my computer anyway :) ) and nothing.it just stays like that.

tried installing from inside windows , which only installs with the reduced graphics mode after rebooting,and then fails to boot with the same symptoms.

for that one that fails to boot , i've tried several options from recovery mode menu,which all failed.i've also itried to install older graphics drivers (version 9.12) from the recovery mode menu option and the installation itself failed :D .

i'm now stuck with the virtualbox installation on windows,which isn't clearly a complete linux experience.

any ideas ladies and gentlemen?.

and thanks for reading this long post .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Unable to install with HD-4730 card

Post by dawgdoc »

I am not sure this applies in your situation, but:
In another thread I posted this
It sounds like you may have stumbled into the Kernel Modesetting (KMS) issue. It can manifest in several ways. Check this post. First try the nomodeset boot parameter outlined in the post and its links before trying the commands for specific hardware.
reaZon

Post by reaZon »

thanks a lot :D ,adding the "nomodeset" to kernel options worked in compatibility mode but to some point in normal mode and then a black screen.

now i have a functioning mint boot :o .
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Did you try the Radeon specific solution found by following the links in the above post?
Radeon specific:

radeon.agpmode=x where x is -1 = Enable PCI mode on the GPU, disable all AGP. 1, 2, 4, 8 = Enable AGP speed.
Also I searched these forums using radeon and parameter as search terms, the second hit suggested this: radeon.modeset=0
Baddcog

Post by Baddcog »

Maybe the same issue I ran into.

I have a 5850 with 2 dvi monitor plugs on it. I accidentally plugged the monitor back into the bottom slot, instead of the top one. Windows still read it fine, but the live CD would only show on screen until the load screen was done. Then I got black screen and my monitor would hibernate.

Putting the plug back into the top slot let Mint 9 use the monitor.
reaZon

Post by reaZon »

dawgdoc wrote:Did you try the Radeon specific solution found by following the links in the above post?
Radeon specific:

radeon.agpmode=x where x is -1 = Enable PCI mode on the GPU, disable all AGP. 1, 2, 4, 8 = Enable AGP speed.
Also I searched these forums using radeon and parameter as search terms, the second hit suggested this: radeon.modeset=0
after running into the issue again,having no disktop at all,just a shell login screen.i installed mint again with my built-in card enabled and the other one disabled.
then installed the fglrx drivers.
then reenabled the HD-4730,everything is fine now,without disabling KMS.
thanks everyone :) .

Return to “Installation & Boot”