Black Screen on Celena Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint Ek0nomik
This is certainly a problem with X and you have a slightly odd ATI card - I think thats the problem
You might try the hints in the troubleshooter for the live CD
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
There's also one other step to take I htink you should try but I'll have to come back to you when I find the reference to it again
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Stretch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stretch »

I also get this black screen when trying to install Celena and Cassandra on a spare PC/Server. I have read the FAQ and nothing works. My video card is a dated Asus FX5200. I have booting issues with several distros, including Ubuntu and FC >4. Mandriva seems OK though.

When I use break=top I get an almost immediate freeze
When I use break=bottom, I can change xorg from vesa to nv but instead of X starting, all I get is the black screen. ctrl-alt-F1 etc does not work. Neither does ctrl-alt-backspace.
When I use break=button, I can boot to a blank screen and ctrl-alt-F1 to console. However as I am in the process of editing xorg.conf, the PC just freezes. Reset button needed.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

That's strange. Vesa mode should work as a failsafe for any card. I installed Celena recentl;y using vesa on a Radeon X1950 Pro system.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well Mint is 100% based on Ubuntu, but over time more and more changes have been made. Mostly things have been added, but also removed and changed so by now there is a considerable difference, but as I am not a developer I could not give you a percentage :)
Most (but not quite all) solutions for Feisty work in Mint 3.x
No we don't have a text based installer - it would take to much resources to develop (it's not just to put the live cd in a "cruncher" and wait for the result :))
Until that post came, I was stuck.
Ek0nomik, does this mean that you've installed?
The solution I mentioned but did not give is in this link
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4784
Try break=bottom or =top or =button till you get a command prompt - it's obviously varying which one will do that depending on your system

Return to “Installation & Boot”