Black Screen on Celena Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Black Screen on Celena Install

Postby Ek0nomik on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:15 pm

I'm looking at trying a wide variety of Linux distros, so Linux Mint is next on my list. I just downloaded the Linux Mint 3.1 CD Image. The MD5Sum checked out fine.

I booted to the CD, (I have tried safe graphics and regular install modes), and the kernel loads. Then the loading screen with the Linux Mint (From Freedom Came Elegance) logo appears with the loading bar going back and forth. Once this has finished, I am taken to a black screen. Nothing happens, just a black screen.

I have a Intel Core Duo T550 & ATI X1400 Mobility Card.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by Ek0nomik on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ek0nomik
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:19 am

Welcome to Mint Ek0nomik
This is certainly a problem with X and you have a slightly odd ATI card - I think thats the problem
You might try the hints in the troubleshooter for the live CD
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
There's also one other step to take I htink you should try but I'll have to come back to you when I find the reference to it again
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Ek0nomik on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:09 pm

Husse wrote:Welcome to Mint Ek0nomik
This is certainly a problem with X and you have a slightly odd ATI card - I think thats the problem
You might try the hints in the troubleshooter for the live CD
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
There's also one other step to take I htink you should try but I'll have to come back to you when I find the reference to it again

Thanks for the reply.

Out of curiosity, how much of Linux Mint is based upon Ubuntu? I presume you are currently basing it off of Ubuntu Feisty (7.04)? If that's a case, than my problems are near certain related to my X1400.

Here is the posting on how to install Feisty with my card:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414194

Until that post came, I was stuck.

Does Linux Mint even have a text-based installer?

Thanks!
Ek0nomik
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Stretch on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:44 pm

I also get this black screen when trying to install Celena and Cassandra on a spare PC/Server. I have read the FAQ and nothing works. My video card is a dated Asus FX5200. I have booting issues with several distros, including Ubuntu and FC >4. Mandriva seems OK though.

When I use break=top I get an almost immediate freeze
When I use break=bottom, I can change xorg from vesa to nv but instead of X starting, all I get is the black screen. ctrl-alt-F1 etc does not work. Neither does ctrl-alt-backspace.
When I use break=button, I can boot to a blank screen and ctrl-alt-F1 to console. However as I am in the process of editing xorg.conf, the PC just freezes. Reset button needed.
Stretch
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lolo Uila on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:38 pm

That's strange. Vesa mode should work as a failsafe for any card. I installed Celena recentl;y using vesa on a Radeon X1950 Pro system.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:57 am

Well Mint is 100% based on Ubuntu, but over time more and more changes have been made. Mostly things have been added, but also removed and changed so by now there is a considerable difference, but as I am not a developer I could not give you a percentage :)
Most (but not quite all) solutions for Feisty work in Mint 3.x
No we don't have a text based installer - it would take to much resources to develop (it's not just to put the live cd in a "cruncher" and wait for the result :))
Until that post came, I was stuck.
Ek0nomik, does this mean that you've installed?
The solution I mentioned but did not give is in this link
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4784
Try break=bottom or =top or =button till you get a command prompt - it's obviously varying which one will do that depending on your system
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot