Isadora can't boot after reinstalling windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dsulistyo

Isadora can't boot after reinstalling windows

Post by dsulistyo »

Currently I have 2 operating system installed on computer (Windows XP Proffesional) and Linux Mint Isadora.
Caused of virus attack, windows system on my computer was corrupted and need to reinstall.

Now, after completing windows installation. I can't boot Linux Isadora again (no boot choice menu)...

Do you have any suggestion to solve this problem, so I can boot Linux Isadora again..

Note:Linux Isadora was instaled at /dev/sda8
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Isadora can't boot after reinstalling windows

Post by dawgdoc »

See THIS tutorial on how to reinstall Grub2. It states
There may be times when a user needs to either move or reinstall a GRUB 2 installation. GRUB 2 needs to be reinstalled when a user is presented with a blank screen with only the word "GRUB", no prompt, and no ability to enter commands. This often happens when the MBR of the booting device is altered and GRUB 2 is removed, such as when Windows is installed after Ubuntu.
This applies to Linux Mint, and the tutorial would work the same. I have used method 2.
dsulistyo

Post by dsulistyo »

Noted..Thanks

How with this solution :
#sudo su
# mkdir /mnt/test
# mount -t ext3 -o dev /dev/sda3 /mnt/test
# chroot /dev/sda3
# grub-install /dev/sda
# exit
# reboot

it's can be done or not?

dawgdoc wrote:See THIS tutorial on how to reinstall Grub2. It states
There may be times when a user needs to either move or reinstall a GRUB 2 installation. GRUB 2 needs to be reinstalled when a user is presented with a blank screen with only the word "GRUB", no prompt, and no ability to enter commands. This often happens when the MBR of the booting device is altered and GRUB 2 is removed, such as when Windows is installed after Ubuntu.
This applies to Linux Mint, and the tutorial would work the same. I have used method 2.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

dsulistyo wrote:How with this solution :
#sudo su
# mkdir /mnt/test
# chroot /dev/sda3
# grub-install /dev/sda
# exit
# reboot

it's can be done or not?
I do not know. It does not match any of the three methods in the tutorial. Method 2 worked successfully for me. In your original post you said you were using Linux Mint Isadora. That edition of Mint is based on Ubuntu so the tutorial should work.

In what you posted above you use sudo su which is also not used in any of the three methods. I have seen this expression used in Debian based LMDE for some terminal commands. If you are using LMDE, Linux Mint Debian Edition, HERE is a site with instructions somewhat similar to yours which references installing to Debian based distros. But there is enough difference in what you posted and the instructions that I could not say that your commands would work for you.

Whichever edition is installed, make sure you use a LiveCD/LiveUSB of the same edition to reinstall Grub2.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Terminal commands via liveCD's terminal

sudo mount /dev/sda8 /mnt

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
mick55

Post by mick55 »

dsulistyo wrote:Noted..Thanks

How with this solution :
#sudo su
# mkdir /mnt/test
# chroot /dev/sda3
# grub-install /dev/sda
# exit
# reboot

it's can be done or not?
No.

You do not chroot to the device, you chroot to the mount point.

# chroot /dev/sda3 should be # chroot /mnt/test.

Plus you have missed some other important details required if you are going to use
the chroot method to reinstall Grub.

Follow this simple tutorial to get your grub installed.

How to Recover Grub2 After Windows Installation

mick

Return to “Installation & Boot”